Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

changing the direction of a 1ph AC washing machine motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqbilly

apparently my Washing machine capacitor went bad and eventually the motor was burnt. after rewounding the motor and replacing the capaciotr with the same uF rating, i realised the motor runs in one direction only instead of reversing after a couple of turns. what changes the direction of the washing machine motor, could it be capacitor or a wiring in the motor windings. please help.

Billy

Directions.

Billy, the washing machine motor is supposed to run in only one direction. The changes in direction that you see as the agitator turns back and forth or goes into a spin cycle are caused by the mechanical action of the transmission, not a reversing of the motor.

In general, if you want to change the direction of rotation of a capacitor start or capacitor run (or capacitor start, capacitor run) motor, simply reverse the connections of the two field (stator) windings.

Dean

My washing machine does not have agitator. But here the motor reverses its direction after every 30 seconds.

I havent come across any motors of the induction type in washing machines here in the UK.....All are motors using a commutator and field coils, which makes rotation change easy by swapping the direction of the current through the com or field coils..

Reversing Washer motors

So the fault could be the washer's program clock not switching when it should (contacts burnt/welded?).
I have played with old-style mechanical clocks in the past with mixed fortunes, there are lots of contacts doing lots of inter-dependant things so be careful :wink:

If the clock is faulty this could help explain the motor's failing in the first place :?:

Chippie said:
I havent come across any motors of the induction type in washing machines here in the UK.....All are motors using a commutator and field coils, which makes rotation change easy by swapping the direction of the current through the com or field coils..
They were used at one time. About 20 years ago I owned a Thorn Bendix washing machine that used an induction (squirrel cage) motor. It was a disaster. The motor speed was controlled by triacs and ran at what seemed to be about 30rpm when in the wash cycle. At this speed there was inadequate cooling from the fan and the motor would get very hot and finally burn out.

I went through 3 burned-out motors before accepting that this was a pretty poor design and scrapped it.

I can't think of another application where I have seen induction motors with shaft speed reduced to such a low level in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back