Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Changing (lowering) AC box Fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunted22

Hello all..

I have an idea to use an AC 12" box fan as a computer case fan, instead of multiple PC 12v fans.. I'm going to implant it in the PC case side panel, then.. well.. make it look good. of course box fans can be loud, and they push air more than I need, so I want to slow the fan down lower than setting one.

Is that possible? is it as I think just lowering the voltage than going to the engine? Is it simple or too much hassle?

Thanks in advance.

It's possible, albeit bizarre. You could use a simple triac circuit, but be careful of possible high frequencies generated. The firing angle of the triac changes which supplies a lower average voltage to the fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back