Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

change of pressure or volume when a diatomic gas is ionized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejed613

Most Helpful Member
i'm usually pretty good at physics, but i am having difficulty finding an answer to this question:
when a diatomic gas (He2 for instance) is ionized in a fixed size container, does the pressure double (or more due to free electrons) from the dissociation to a monatomic plasma?
or... in a container with flexible walls, does it double it's volume?

it's logical that this would happen, but i can't seem to find any experimental or theoretical information about this.

i'm usually pretty good at physics, but i am having difficulty finding an answer to this question:
when a diatomic gas (He2 for instance) is ionized in a fixed size container, does the pressure double (or more due to free electrons) from the dissociation to a monatomic plasma?

it's logical that this would happen, but i can't seem to find any experimental or theoretical information about this.

Helium is not a diatomic gas at STP. It has a valance of zero. If it could be ionized, what difference would the mass of an extra electron or two added or subtracted to/from the mass of 2 protons plus 2 neutrons have? I would say the pressure change would be negligible.

Ratch

Helium is not a diatomic gas at STP. It has a valance of zero. If it could be ionized, what difference would the mass of an extra electron or two added or subtracted to/from the mass of 2 protons plus 2 neutrons have? I would say the pressure change would be negligible.

Ratch
yeah, you're right, helium doesn't have any open valence. maybe nitrogen or hydrogen would be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back