CDI Ingnition System - Please Help Me Build One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew-AZ

I in need of some help regarding a CDI unit that went bad and now hard to find and been discontinue for several decades. I have a 1986 Kawasaki ZX1000 with CDI unit #2111-1164 or 1165. I’m looking to build my own since I have very little choices and very little money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Some info that I know;
  • 4 Cylinder Systems
  • 2 Pickup pulsing coils 180 deg. apart #59026-1073, (#1 and #4), (#2 and #3) (spec. resistance 400-490 Ohms)
  • Rotor Coil Timing Plate #21007-1109, a set 36 deg. notch before TDC.
  • 2 Coil packs, (#1 and #4), (#2 and #3) (Resistances: 2.4 ohms primary & 11.86k ohms secondary)
10 Pin Connector to CDI Unit: (Pin-out)

• 2 & 7 = Pickup coil for cylinder #2 and #3
  • 1 & 8 = Pickup coil for cylinder #1 and #4
  • 4 = Output to Coil #2 for cylinder #2 and #3
  • 5 = Output to Coil #1 for cylinder #1 and #4
  • 9 = +12VDC Common output to Coils #1 and #2 and power to CDI Unit
  • 10 = -12VDC Common power to CDI and to Ground
  • 3 = Power out to fuse box but connects to 3 diodes In parallel, then feeds thru Lock-out Switch and then back to ground.
  • 6 = Not used
Most of the circuits out their only explain designs for one coil and not 2, but I would guess that I could use one circuit and just duplicate it for the other coil. This doesn’t seem too bad, but I’m not too sure and would like to know if anyone already tackled this so I wouldn’t have to kill myself over this. I think that keeping it a CDI and not a TCI, PIC or DIS would fit better without changing other parts, or if you have a better solution, I would really like to hear……Thanks in advance.

Don't know about CDI versus the rest but just building two of the circuits for one coil each should work fine.

Thanks, it seems your the right guy to ask! would you know of any tested and working diagrams? I've seen so many out there that I'm hesitant to even start one.

Afraid not. I'm familiar with electronic design and the basics of CD ignitions but not familiar with any particular ones. If you have a few that look promising, particular those that someone has actually built, post the info and I can take a look at them.

Since you are in NZ, this is a cheep CDI Kit & it works as ive built several for small engines. You will need one for each coil. Not sure about posting the circuit as it may contravine copyright. Its in Silicon Chip magazine May 2008 Replacement CDI module for small petrol engines. Jaycar kit KC5466 $21.95 Au.

Here's the Silicon Chip article. Since it's a simple circuit it doesn't provide any spark advance as the article explains. Don't know what your motorcycle unit did in that regard. Also this unit gets its high voltage from separate generator coil. Don't know if that's compatible with you motorcycle either but I suspect you may need one that generates the high voltage from the 12V battery. Perhaps a unit like this would be better suited.

If it uses a 12V HV setup then this is another option. And its from a New Zealander. You could just use the inverter part of this circuit with the other CDI moule kit.

Last edited:
I guess i can scratch Silicon Chip magazine out because it stating:
This site is no longer accepting subscriptions and only provides access to archived Silicon Chip content for previous subscribers
(Bummer!)

This will work only one coil, right and i would require another for the other coil. Why would i need the inverter? and if so here would it tie into the jaycar circuit?

Going by your original post, there is 2 trigger coils in the engine & no mention of a HV coil. But there is a 12V power feed to the CDI unit. The only reason there would be 12V to the CDI unit is for a HV inverter. So for your motor bike to build a CDI unit, it will need a HV inverter to feed 2 CDI modules. One for each coil. It would be similar to post 7. Will draw up a circuit later & post.

Yes, I thought it would look something like that, and thanks for the explanation. Since the Timing Plate is fixed and advance at 36deg, how does the circuit compensate for retard when at low rpms?
Thanks a lot for your support and sharing of your knowledge in this area......thanks again.

Also have another question, doesn't my stator on my motorcycle puts out around 300v give or take and if so then there wouldnt be any need for the HV?

Also have another question, doesn't my stator on my motorcycle puts out around 300v give or take and if so then there wouldnt be any need for the HV?
It may put that voltage out open-circuit but if you have a battery system and it's charging a battery then the output is less than 15V.

Do you have the circuit diagram for this bike? Ive looked on the net & cant find one. In ignition systems that use a fixed advance like you are describing, usualy use a computer to retard the ignition for low revs. Then advance with an increase of RPM. Your description doesn't seem to have enough wires & sensors for that.

Curtschow, I think you maybe right because the wiring diagram doesn’t show any higher voltages than 12v so I would have to assume 12v is the max.
Debe, I will post the wiring and a detail wiring layout for the ignition system. I know that there isn’t another computer; however after studding the original CDI unit, I found a square black component on the circuit board that resembles a cpu chip. This chip component is black-out with a lot of traces going into it from all sides. It does not have a part number, but from what I read I think its Fuji Electric timing processor for ignition systems but it’s just my guess.

Ok, here's a copy of the component wiring and will post later today the overall wiring schematic..

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    899 KB · Views: 781
  • Full page photo.pdf
    174.5 KB · Views: 655
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…