Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CB Transceiver Cell Telephone range about 10 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

When I was in college I connected a 23 channel CB radio to my home phone as my home base station and I had a mobile CB in my car with a telephone. I could call my home phone and make phone calls like cell phones do now. The old dial phones had a rotary relay inside the phone if you dial a 5 the relay would close and open 5 times. If you dial a 9 it would close and open 9 times. I had a book about remote control and how it transmitted tones over a carier wave so I did the same thing to make it dial the numbers all I did was push the button on my end 9 times to dial 9. Both transceivers had 2 crystals for each 23 channels, 1 for transmit and 1 for receive. I moved all the receive crystals up 11 slots. Channel 1 had channel 1 transmit crystal and channel 11 receive crystal. Channel 5 would had a T5 and R16 crystal and so on. That was so if anyone on CB was listening they would only hear half the conversation. To make a long story short it worked fine. It took some getting use to when making a phone call but it worked. I was the only person that could make calls because I was the only person that knew how it worked. I had to push a button to make the home phone connect to the phone line when I heard the dial tone then I could dial the numbers. If I was going to dial 890-4591 then I pushed the tone button 8 times, then push the braker button 1 time, then push tone 9 times, then braker 1 time, then tone 10 times, then braker 1 time, then tone 4 times, and so on. I had several buttons to push and if I made a mistake I had to hand up and start over. It took me about a week to get use to it. This was the first STONE AGE cell phone. It was about 2 miles across town and 8 miles to the state park I had no trouble make phone calls from the state park.

Technology has progressed a long way in 40 years why has someone not invented a device like this to sell so people can buy a CB radio to use at home and have a CB phone in their car. The car could have a repeater too to a hand held unit to carry in your pocket like we do cell phones. I think a lot of people would pay $500 for a device like this to get rid of their monthly cell phone bill. Buy a CB radio for the house and car then buy a phone converter to attach to it and your in business, your own cell phone the home CB radio acts like your own personal cell phone tower. 7 months of cell phone bills would pay for this if you have it 5 years it saves you $3100 assuming your monthly cell bill is $60. You would still have a home phone bill but everyone in the family could have a cell phone on this device and save maybe $10,000. in 5 years.

I thing a company could design and build a unit that would be an all in one CB telephone all you have to do is plug it is to the home phone line and 120 VAC. The one in your car sticks to the dash and plugs into the cigerette lighter. Fast and easy.

Last edited:
In this area the 2 meter HAM band is used much like what you said. The big stations are linked together and can relay your call over great distances.
Now that there is no long distance charges on many phones the idea of using RF to get to another area then connecting to a phone line is not used much. (as much)

I doubt that many people would go to the hassle if installing such a device with limited range and limited channels just to eliminate their cell phones. It wouldn't take long for all those 23 channels to be so crowded that it couldn't be reliably used.

Phone patch system were very popular in the early 90's before mobile phones really took off and became cheap and easy to use.
I remember installing a number of phone patch systems for commercial customers

But as crutschow said, with today's mobile technology, phone patch systems would be a total waste of time

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back