Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Case Filling: Epoxy; thin consistency and thermally conductive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

Hi all,

I have a small PCB going into a small case approximately 70mm long, 11mm wide 5.5mm high (internal). The PCB must be waterproofed and ideally the cables need protection against being pulled (there is no room for knotting the cable to relief on the case).

I investigated neutral cure silicone but have found it develops a skin of 5mm then stops curing. It's also a little too flexible.

Standard epoxy adhesive is good once it's cured but is too thick to inject into the case. It's also expensive.

Essentially I need "runny" epoxy which I can inject with a syringe. Thermally conductive would be a bonus. Any recommendations?

The alternative is to fill the case as the PCB is going in, but it'll be messy and I have 1,000+ units to do!

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Potting-Compound-Twin-Pack-Resin-and-Hardener-50g/291472247231?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=35923&meid=29b9cd57a1f94e09bc6ec804758cadc6&pid=100010&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=121342616487

You need some compliance or the potting can stress the components and interconnections especially with vibration a and temperature. Particular care needs to be taken with surface mount components.

You also need a potting compound that can be removed or the unit will be written off in the case of a failure.

spec

Last edited:
The unit shouldn't fail but if it did it would be written off. I've bought 1kg of PX700k and shall see what the viscosity is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back