Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascading Up/Down BCD Counter with 7 segment displays and IR sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get the IC component in an alternative package, you could buy small adapter PCB that will accept the soldered on package and plug the PCB adapter into your project board.

What is the adaptor for specifically? Is it to change the analogue signal of the reflective opto switch to a digital one? Also as far as my teacher seems to be concerned, so long as the circuit works in a general way I can get full marks if my controlled assessment is top notch and the circuit works, so if the switch can only sense things that are millimetres away, it gives me something to write about in my evaluation after it is built, that although the rest of my circuit worked, this would be something that if I ever wanted to improve/remake it, then I would change

hi Jen,
No, the purpose of the adapter I suggested is so that a none DIL IC package can be mounted on the adapter PCB and the PCB with pins spaced at 01.inch, which would make it compatible with a 'regular project board or strip board.

The signal from an opto IR detector, although analogue, it can also be considered as digital.
For example, if the IR detector signal had an On/Off voltage level of 5V, this could be used to drive a Schmitt input gate and then a counter.
The counter would see the change from say, 0v to +5V as a clock signal... OK.?
E

what if the package was surface mount? how would that work? I don't have the equipment at school to surface mount components

Unless the part is a leadless package, or really fine pitch, you can use a conventional iron to solder them. Just get a small point tip. Pre-tin each pad on the board. Take care so that each solder bump is about the same height, and it only takes a very little bit of solder, about the thickness of a piece of paper.

Wet all of the pins on the SMD with liquid flux. Then, while holding the part in place with tweezers, touch each pin with the iron.

what if the package was surface mount? how would that work? I don't have the equipment at school to surface mount components

hi Jen,
If you use a SMT LS7184 IC, follow the instructions posted by Chris.

Are you aware [if I am reading the quadrature IC d/s correctly]the LS7184 IC is expecting a quadrature style input signal before it drives the Up/Dn counters.
Where are you creating a quad signal from a opto IR coupler.?
E

ok then scrap the LS7183/4 idea. My friend came up with an idea using latches and a AND gates. Latch A is connected to IR sensor A (probably a set/reset flip flop) so when a car comes up to A, it latches the output from the flip flop. When the car then passes B which is further away, the this signal goes into the input of an AND gate, the other input coming from the output of the flip flop, therefore providing a positive signal and clock pulse to make my counter count up. Reversing this and having a latch B connected to IR sensor B is to make it count down and a NOT gate connected to the output of the AND gate on this to produce the negative supply signal for the up/down PIN of my 4510 to allow it to count down.
thoughts?

hi Jen,
That sounds the right way to go, using latches to hold the state of the counters and barrier.

Post your circuit when ready and we can look it over.
E

at the moment im trying to create the part with the latches, everything else is made bar the motor which i will create during my other project. I'm just getting xonfused with how i connect the reset and set to get it to latch, because it says on a 4043B that they need to be low with the enable high to make it latch, but because they both run off the same inputs, they stay latched and just make it count up when only one sensor is triggered

*confused
Good Morning confused Jen.;)
Just post a circuit diagram of what you have so far, we can take it from there.
We need a point of reference to discuss, so post a schematic, dont fuss if its not accurate or complete:woot:

E

SW3 being IR sensor A
SW2 being IR sensor B
SW1 being triggered whent he barrier starts to close and produces a clock pulse
SW4 being triggered when the barrier closes to reset the latches
I know there are a lot of seperate 9V and 0V spread around but this is just to make it less cluttered so that on my controlled assessment powerpoint there arent wires leading off all over the place
This is only part of my circuit, inlcuding the inputs and counters, but not the outputs which come off from the 7 segment displays or the parts that trigger my motor (barrier)

Attachments

• counter and inputs.png
    counter and inputs.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back