Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Stereo - Kenwood KDC241

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord_1011

Hello all, i recently bought a second hand car and the previous owner had installed a Kenwood KDC-241 stereo, so far it has been ok, however he admitted there was a problem with the AUX input. The Left channel is fine, however the Right channel is extremely quiet...

Now I used my Multimeter to measure the Impedance, and surprise surprise the Left channel has an Impedance of 10Kohm and the Right channel is 11 Ohm. I also changed the balance to +8 db on the right channel the channels sounded roughly equal, however obviously the moment I change the source, the balance then has too much emphasis on the right channel.

Basically from what i can understand the problem is where the AUX input's volume is controlled, does anyone have any advice or ideas on what the issue could be?

If it reads 11ohms there's fairly obviously a serious short across the input - however, you can't measure impedance with a multimeter anyway, you were measuring resistance.

Do you have a circuit for the Kenwood?.

No i cant find it anywhere on the Internet and the manual is only for setup and operation, it has no mention of a circuit diagram

kenwood kdc-241

;)Try this, perhaps it might be usefull.

Attachments

• kenwood_kdc-138_mp208_mp238_139_mp239_mp3039_mp339_mp439_241_w241_w3041_w312_sm_[ET].pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 819
Thanks to leal for the diagram (even though it has the longest filename ever seen :D), basically there can't be much wrong at all.

Aux In R is on pin 18 of J3 which the front panel plugs in to. I would suggest trying to measure the resistance of pin 18 to chassis with the front removed, which should be 10K odd - same as the left channel.

If it reads 10K then the fault is on the plugin front panel, and is most likely a damaged socket - there's VERY little in the main unit that could cause it, and those few options are VERY, VERY unlikely.

WOW thats leal, thats a great help!, i see what you mean Nigel, Im going to open it up and have a look inside etc, hopefully it will be a simple fix :)

I took the front panel off and tested the resistance, and the connector is fine, there is definitely a problem with the circuitry...

I took the front panel off and tested the resistance, and the connector is fine, there is definitely a problem with the circuitry...

Like I said, there's almost nothing internal that can cause such a fault - and those possibilities are EXTREMELY unlikely. Most likely cause is an external short across the input somewhere, perhaps even a blob of solder across the PCB where it wasn't make correctly (assuming it's never worked from new).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back