Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car project geting spike from the car electrical circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Boss

I am using a circuit in my car that include some CMOS logic gates and 555 timers.
I know this chips work OK within 3 to 15 Volts.

The projects work perfectly in my bench with a 12 volt battery BUT when I conect it with the battery from the car it work ok until I actvate a switch in the car like the door lock.

Its look like my project is getting some type of spike or glitch from the car electrical circuit.

What I have to do in order to fix this??? Do I have to install some kind of debounce circuit???

Do I have to install a Voltage Regulator???

Can somebody give me detailed instrucctions or point me to a wep page were I can find more info about this or a circuit that I can copy.

Thank you for your time and help.

TB , thats not much info to go on.

You mentioned you have logic gates and 555 timers, do you maybe have a schematic we can have a look at ?

Well, I dont have a diagram. But is a CMOS INVERTER with a CMOS AND gate and a monostable 555. Is work perfectly on the bench with a 12 volts battery but in the car it get gliches or spikes from the electrical car circuits.
Do you think I have to put some type of Regulator so it work with 5 volts?
Do this will help????

Yes adding a voltage regulator and proper filtering would be a good idea and should solve your problem. The electrical system in a vehicle is a very noisy invironment for electronics.

BTW, the voltage from your car will be about 13.8 volts when it is running, so it would prolly be better to use a 9 volt regulator such as a 7809.

nettron1000 said:
Yes adding a voltage regulator and proper filtering would be a good idea and should solve your problem. The electrical system in a vehicle is a very noisy invironment for electronics.

BTW, the voltage from your car will be about 13.8 volts when it is running, so it would prolly be better to use a 9 volt regulator such as a 7809.

Two good points!

Consider the fact that the example you gave -- operating the door locks -- uses fairly strong magnetic devices. Now consider the fact that all critical on-board electronics are somewhat "hardened" for reliability and you should see a definite need for regulation, filtering, and shielding!

I was getting a lot of noise on a mobile radio based on observations from other hams and went to work on a solution. I put a scope on the cigarette lighter power supply and noticed tons of electrical stuff - including these incredible spikes. The timing of the spikes suggested that the most likely source was the fuel injectors. There was a lot of noise from the alternator too - that I eventually discovered must have been a failed diode. The spikes were very high in amplitude but of very short duration - an RF choke actually took care of the spikes - a capacitor helped and replacement of the alternator improved things as well.

I guess autos are incredibly noisy and as a result automotive electronics is designed/tested with this in mind. To me that suggests that I'd try to do what I could to filter noise and also to avoid adding my own electronics to critical systems - that might fail at a bad time.

ChrisP said:
Consider the fact that the example you gave -- operating the door locks -- uses fairly strong magnetic devices. Now consider the fact that all critical on-board electronics are somewhat "hardened" for reliability and you should see a definite need for regulation, filtering, and shielding!

I will going to use this schematic I find......... I going to regulated to 5 volts and on the regulated output I going to install a electrolitic cap 2,200uF/35V...... What you people think?? https://www.eleinmec.com/figures/020_02.gif

Also what is the best way to shield my project? Is that a material that I use to cover the project. Do I stick that material to the inside part of the project box?

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back