Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car dynamo output to USB input

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinop

Hi folks

I am doing a school project where I need to import a "signal" from the power generator output of a car or motorbike into my laptop through its USB port.
Does anybody know what would be the simplest/cheapest product to achieve this? I imagine that there would be a way to connect the positive and negative coming from the generator into some little PCB that has a USB port on it which then I would plug my laptop into and read the amps generated through some program installed on my laptop.
So, essentially, when the driver revs up the engine and the dynamo charges the battery with more amps, I need to be able to see the amps in my laptop add perhaps even be able to show the exact amps flowing through the car generator. Does that make sense or am I talking crap? :mad:

Thanks,
Dinop

Can you program the laptop using any language? If you can then we go on...

Can you set up a micro with USB output that will be able to read the current process it and send it to your PC program??

If you answered yes to both of these then you can go ahead, otherwise you will be looking for "off the shelf" items...

You can get "ADC reading software" that usually comes with a dongle, you would need one with current sense.

Also look into IOT as I have bought a little WEB PCB.. Cost about 29 quid... It connects to the internet via ethernet... It has its own web page that you just log onto.. https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Development/PIC-WEB/

Hi Ian and thanks for your reply.
Yes, this is a "greenfield" project so I have no restrictions, whatsoever.
I am essentially trying to build or buy the cheapest device possible that would convert the revs of a running engine into a USB signal. I saw the PCB you linked to but it has an RS-232 connector, not a USB...
My laptop does not even have an RS-232 so I would have to buy an additional RS-232 to USB adapter or something like that.
Imagine that when the driver steps on the gas and perhaps the alternator generates more power to provide more amps to the battery, my device will send a bigger integer through to the USB.

My laptop does not even have an RS-232 so I would have to buy an additional RS-232 to USB adapter or something like that.
It has Ethernet... So has your laptop...
Imagine that when the driver steps on the gas and perhaps the alternator generates more power to provide more amps to the battery, my device will send a bigger integer through to the USB.
Yep.. I know how it works.... If you need special stuff then sometimes the only way is to make your own.. It's relatively easy to do...

So, do you think the way I am approaching the problem is correct? Assuming we have no access to the vehicles "engine computer" is the alternator amperage the best way to see how high the engine is revving?

So, do you think the way I am approaching the problem is correct? Assuming we have no access to the vehicles "engine computer" is the alternator amperage the best way to see how high the engine is revving
Nope... The alternator current is only dependant on the depletion of the battery... Once it's charged the current output is much reduced... If you need revs, you need to tap into the AC before the diodes.. You might be better off with an ODBII device... Only £8 and display everything.... How old would the vehicle be...

We are talking about modern vehicles. i.e. post 2005, I guess. ODB2 was the keyword I was looking for! :cool:
I guess this is a connector that plugs into the car's diagnostics port and transmits various stuff, right?
This would be the correct way to get the vehicle's speed or power output. Yeah? :woot:
Magic! There seems be one with WiFi built-in for a very small cost! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back