Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car antenna adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhtphoto

I have a 2008 SUbaru Outback wagon with the antenna built into the rear window. I need to "trim" the antenna at the radio to get a better signal. Does anyone know where the trimmer control is on the OEM radio/cd player?

didn't this just apply to AM days? The antenna was such a short length compared to the signal wavelength that you'd peak the aerial with a trimmer capacitor. Haven't seen that sort of thechnology for years. **broken link removed** on car radios, sounds like its for old-timers only ;)

I guess I'm an old timer but I do remember that FM segments at one time also had an antenna adjustment. The problem with the glass mounted antennas is that they can not be lengthened to assist with the lower end of the FM band.

if you look at the rear of the radio where the antenna connector plugs in you will see a small hole,this probably the antenna trimmer for the radio there should be a small slot visable,be very carefull adjusting the trimmer it is easily broken,a very small insulated screwdriver or better a small plastic rod with a filed flat end like a flat blade screwdriver,the trimmer is best adjusted at the high end of the AM band close to 1.5mhz(or 200Mtrs if your slightly older!!).

Bear in mind that the trimmer is for AM only, and not for FM.

It also may well do nothing anyway, cars which use the crappy rear window as an aerial usually have an in-line ampliifer to try and make it work acceptably.

Sometimes the trimmer is accessible through the front by way of the door where your CD or tape inserts into the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back