Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrick

i have a problem i am trying to repair my power supply and the caps thats are popped are 35v 220uf can i use 50v 220uf or should i stay in the 35v range and go up or down on the uf

Welcome to ETO, corrick!
The capacitance values should definitely be kept the same. I don't believe changing from 35v to 50v would be a problem.

so then i go to say a 440uf i just have lots of old boards and stuff around i like to reuse b4 buying new caps
and thank you for the welcome to ETO

Last edited:
so then i go to say a 440uf i just have lots of old boards and stuff around i like to reuse b4 buying new caps
and thank you for the welcome to ETO

You are very welcome for the welcome :)
A 440uF is presumably too high for the application. You said that the original uses 220uF capacitors, and that is what you should use as a replacement. If the voltage is slightly higher than the original 35 volts, it should be fine, but you must use the same capacitance (220uF).
I hope this helps!
Der Strom

that it did thank you for the help i remember years ago i had this same problem but never could find the answer so i just bought new 1s now i will just have to go digging to find some :D

that it did thank you for the help i remember years ago i had this same problem but never could find the answer so i just bought new 1s now i will just have to go digging to find some :D

Now, I'm assuming you already know this, but when you solder in the replacement, make sure you have the correct polarity (they are electrolytic capacitors, right?). I've made that mistake before and it made quite a mess on my workbench! :D
Good luck!

Last edited:
Now, I'm assuming you already know this, but when you solder in the replacement, make sure you have the correct polarity (they are electrolytic capacitors, right?). I've made that mistake before and it made quite a mess on my workbench! :D
Good luck!

My boss made that one. 1uf 100v. Needless to say, the top went zinging past my head hitting the ceiling. I don't even think anything was left inside the cap.

Just an empty shell. Sounded like a firecracker. I think it would have made a good youtube vid.

220uf @ 50vdc that would be a really messy stinking cleanup. Always good to have a can of electronics cleaner on hand. One at work and one at home.

Edit: I began to think, I couldn't be the only one experiencing this.........ah the delights of youtube.

What happens when you mount a bi-polar capacitor backward

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back