Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I'm working on building a strobe light, like the one here http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/strobe2.htm or this one http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/strobo_12v.html

Now the circuit in the first link specifies that I use a .47uF mylar capacitor. I have some .56uF 1000Vdc polypropylene film snubber capacitors. Would it be ok to use one of these instead? Also, would the 0.09uF make a significant difference in the output? I dont want to go blowing my $5 flash tubes.

Oh yeah, and is there a difference between a trim-pot and a regular pot?

Thanks.

Capacitor

Using the larger capacitor should not be a problem. It appears that it is used along with the resistor and potentiometer to control the timing of the flash (frequency). When the capacitor is charged to a voltage that is sufficient to ionize the gas in the neon bulb a spark jumps turning on the SCR and allowing the capacitor to dump it's charge accross the trigger coil. The higher capacitance would only lead to a slightly longer charge time for a fixed resistance and slightly slower discharge through the coil. I suppose, in theory, this would mean less output voltage from the coil (not as large dv/dt at the primary). This should be negligible. In short, I do not see a way that the larger capacitor would damage the flash tube.

I'm not 100% sure about the answer for your next question. From my experience, anything labeled as a "trim pot" seems to be slightly more accurate (usually meaning more turns) and is typically adjusted with a tool or screwdriver. "Pot" seems to be a more general term and usually applies to variable resistors with a knob that can be adjusted by hand. This is the only difference as far as know.

I would expect a "regular" pot to have a knob on it and extend thru the front panel while a "trim" pot is adjusted with a screw driver or tool and is usually mounted on the PC board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back