Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor for voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the datasheet. If it fails and you have cut corners for size issues then you could be unemployed quick time even if it works on the bench (which anyone can do). Following the manufacturers advice is best despite not being the most logical way. They don't make these params up for the hell of it.

The datasheets say minimum 10uF.

I have with me about 20x 2200 uF capacitors at the lowest. Can I use these?

The datasheets say minimum 10uF.

I have with me about 20x 2200 uF capacitors at the lowest. Can I use these?
If the regulator can handle the initial surge current due to the excessive output cap when powering up you can. Those electrolytic caps might not meet the impedance requirements to have the regulator be stable though. You usually need cap type with a lower impedance cap for that.

dknguyen:
Actually i don't have 47uF. can I use 10uF on the input and 100uF on the output instead..?
use the larger cap on the input side. there's a really good app note for 3-terminal regulators, that is a "must read".

Attachments

• snva517b.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 94
Is it Halloween? have they moved it?

Just wondering why everyone is intent on raising the dead..... Where is Ron? & Jonsea? :D

Is it Halloween? have they moved it?

Just wondering why everyone is intent on raising the dead..... Where is Ron? & Jonsea? :D
funny, that's the second time that a very old thread has appeared at the top of the list... looks like aledrus is the one that played Dr Frankenstein with this one...

Did you notice though, its the same people from the first page answering the second time around :D, I wear a clove of garlic around mt neck reading the forum now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back