Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor discharge time

Status
Not open for further replies.

foruonlyfrom007

Hello,
would any one remind me of how to calculate the discharge time of a capacitor? I am trying to integrate an AC to DC, the cap is right after the rectifier, I want to know if the load is so much, how big of a cap should I use to keep the voltage constant.
Examp:
24V AC, my load is 1Amp, how do I work out the cap size to keep the output at above 22V constant?

Thanks. :oops:

the formula is: c = [ ( I load x t ) / ripple ]

c = cap in uF
I = load current
t = time interval between charge pulses ( 0.0083 mS for full-wave rectified 60Hz )

ripple is allowed ripple in output ( about 2% is OK ) say 12V x 0.02 = 0.24v for RMS peak this would give 0.24 x 2.82, or 0.68V

this gives:

c= [ ( I load x 0.00830 ) /0.68 ]

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back