Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cap Type for 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

My circuit is a 555 monostable.
the cap values are 10nf (.01uf) of pin 5 to earth.
the other cap is 100nf (.1uf) from pin 6 to earth.

I've been using those yellow caps cause they look preaty and are easy to read their values.I think they are the polyester type.
Am I using the right type to give my good timing.

The reason I ask is beause I once built the circuit below with polarised and unpolarised caps. I noticed that different types of caps made a difference. The leds would fade before they flipfloped with unpolarosed caps.

So I just want to use the right type caps for my 555 timer project.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Clip.gif
    Clip.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 476
Polyester caps are fine for timeing. Polarized (electrolytic) caps have high leakage causing the 555 not to work if the charging resistance is too high. Tantalum caps are polarized but are lower leakage than aluminium electrolytics.

cool Russlk, 8)
I 'll just keep using them then.
Thanking you.
thanks for the link too, Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back