Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cap Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy257

Hi All,

I am trying to simulate a device we use which is very similar to a capacitor. The only trouble is its in the Femto range.

The smallest cap i can find (SMT) is 0.47pf which is close enough for what i want to do. My problem is i have to apply a charge to this cap using a pulse from a pulse generator. Becasue the cap is so small i am wondering if the leads etc connecting the pulse gen signal to my cap will be added to the value of my cap and it wont look like the value i require.

Assuming i use a typical BNC to BNC coaxial lead.

As far as iam aware there is nothing i can do to prevent capacitances adding themselves up. Am i on the right path?

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• Cap.JPG
    Cap.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 114
Yes, the leads and connections all add capacitance.

I don't see the point in buying capacitors that small, it's so easy to make them.

Hi Hero, Thanks for confirming that.

What purpose could a capacitor that small serve then in other circuits. I mean its that small everything will add more than its value.

As a tuned circuit for a UHF oscillator built on a microstrip board?

If the capacitance and inductance of every connection is found the amount of capacitance added will be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back