Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't seem to get a rocker and led controller to fuction together

Status
Not open for further replies.

artistwantab

Hey guys,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but hopefully one of you can help.

I am running some leds on my car using a controller that allows me to change colors and such. I can turn on the lights via the controller using the app. I can also turn on the lights via the rocker switch.

What I can't do is connect them together and then use them independently. When I wire up everything as per the diagram the circuit is ALWAYS closed and I can't turn the lights off. I can't see where the mistake is?

I have included the rocker wiring diagram also.

BTW...the relay isn't doing much but I have always been told it's safest to run any aftermarket gear through a relay

Rocker-Switches.jpg
Rocker Switches Install.jpeg

85 is ground
nothing on 86.

The relay essentially does nothing but from what I have always been told you should always use to relays to connect aftermarket accessories to cars because the keep the currant stable.

I am going to try to bypass the relay today for testing purposes.

Thank you for the help.

Ok...

The power to 85 only opens 87a and closes 30....

So I wanted power running from 30 through 87a and onto the the rocker.

Like I said I was always told to run relays even if its not functioning as a relay when running accessories.

So I bypassed the relay and here is what I found.

So the lights are not on all the time now. I need to run the grounds on the rocker back to earth.

The issue is the controller. If I power the controller the controller works. If I turn off the controller the rocker works.

Not sure how to have them work independently without killing power to the controller.

I could use a relay to power on the controller when the engine is off. Only problem is when I turn off the controller will the lights default back to normal or remember the settings last used.

Without the controller I assume they will go back to normal.

Anyone have an idea for a work around.

Even bypassing the relay I am having an issue with the controller and rocker not working independently.
Use a switch that has a changeover contact; "SPDT" or "DPDT"

If the switch is off, the normally closed contact could feed the controller. Turning the switch on breaks power to the controller.

When the switch is on, the normally open contact is a direct power feed to the load.

it is difficult to understand what you want. A chart/drawing of your needs may help.

ie, if rocker is on do you still use phone to turn off?
also does the controller have an ext trigger by chance?

it sounds to me like you need a OR-gate type circuit between lights controller and rocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back