Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cant Light up UV lightbulb!

Rovakin

Hello, Im trying to make a UV lamp to cure UV resin, because of the price of other systems I decided to buy my own UV 9W electric bulbs to wire them up.

Now the issue Im running into is that no matter what I do they are not turning on.

I want to hook them up directly (no circuits, only with resistors) but they just wont turn on..

I know my wiring is ok because I managed to turn on RGB LEDs with the same setup (made LED turn on slightly, then changed resistor and LED burned)

Ive tried connecting my UV bulb with various types of resistors and even in last resort direct to the power of my house, still nothing.

These bulbs are for a electric machine (used for curing/drying nails in salons)

Still should be able to turn on via wire & electricity lol

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!! In dire need of it, need this lamp for my job!

(First 2 photos are from my lightbulb, rest are from Amazon, where I bought then)

Only info Amazon seller gives is 9W
image.jpg
image.jpg
AD91908C-29FB-4E7F-8D69-466A69116ED2.png
949D6486-3071-47CB-AD83-2E7E25856083.png

Solution
It's a fluorescent tube, NOT an LED, you need to place in a correct type of fitting, with the control electronics to make it run. As it's only two pin, it's presumably cold-cathode, so it's even tricker to make it work.

Why not just buy a ready made LED light, for curing nail varnish - that's what we did at work - they cost very little, and we even bought a pink one, as it was the cheapest :D

Unfortunately they have a built-in timer, but we just took it apart and bypassed the timer, it's simply fed from a 5V USB lead.
It's a fluorescent tube, NOT an LED, you need to place in a correct type of fitting, with the control electronics to make it run. As it's only two pin, it's presumably cold-cathode, so it's even tricker to make it work.

Why not just buy a ready made LED light, for curing nail varnish - that's what we did at work - they cost very little, and we even bought a pink one, as it was the cheapest :D

Unfortunately they have a built-in timer, but we just took it apart and bypassed the timer, it's simply fed from a 5V USB lead.

Solution
Nvm, I need more than 5v for fast curing. I literally have $200 mxn pesos left (~7 dollars) so I’ll have to wait for money T.T

Electronics has been a complete frustration… Im considering leaving it to the side until I can hire someone to teach me

A friend send me this, I’ll copy the messages see what you think of it:

“It is inductive, if you pass it near a tesla coil it’ll turn on

it takes a voltage to excite the atoms that light up in the tube

the voltage is the frecuency it turns on amd off, and you need to get the atoms shaking at their resonance to get light

tramsformer is 2 coils turning one amperage and voltage to another”

3749AEFE-1FB9-4867-87F6-DF8DC9BC010E.jpeg
23855C80-84D5-4BC1-A798-8839AD8BB0D3.jpeg
D7C8B282-F23F-406C-B8EE-8272E645679E.jpeg
FE9839EA-E875-45C6-A395-480553BC93C3.jpeg

I have seen fluorescent lamps that look like that where the square bit between the two pins contains the starter, so they were conventional fluorescent lamps, no cold cathode. They would work with an inductor ( also known as a ballast or a choke) in series and supplied from mains electricity. The lamp in post #7 appears to be one of those.

I don’t understand what the seller on Amazon is describing, and it could be that the lamp you have doesn’t contain a starter and therefore needs more complicated electronics to supply it.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back