Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can't drive my DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bar_shay

Hello all,

this is my first time in this forum and my english is not so well, so i hope for understanding.
I have a DC motor from some drill that work on 18V. I want to driving this motor with atmel 89c5131, I use L293D but it get warm up too much and the motor doesn't work, I think that the reason is too much current to push.
I need help with this, what i need to do for the motor will work.

You need a MUCH more powerful driver device - an L293 is only for tiny motors. Do you want to mdrive it both ways?, if you do you will require an H-Bridge.

At my HS robotic club, we use VECTORS, which can drive 65 Amp Motors :)
They cost $100

I know I saw that, I reccomend that boblick site, or just use a H bridge using some High Amp Transistors/mosfets.

bar_shay said:
Hello all,

this is my first time in this forum and my english is not so well, so i hope for understanding.
I have a DC motor from some drill that work on 18V. I want to driving this motor with atmel 89c5131, I use L293D but it get warm up too much and the motor doesn't work, I think that the reason is too much current to push.
I need help with this, what i need to do for the motor will work.

May be you should work out the current drawn by the motor first, then you'll be more certain about what driver is suitable for the job. Have you check
L298? It's a high voltage and current device with 2 H-bridge. Read the specs, I think it can take up to 2A.
:)

Wingmax said:
May be you should work out the current drawn by the motor first, then you'll be more certain about what driver is suitable for the job. Have you check
L298? It's a high voltage and current device with 2 H-bridge. Read the specs, I think it can take up to 2A.
:)

He's already said it's from an electric drill - it will need a LOT more than 2A.

I don't know the requirement of his project, but if he hasn't got much to spend, may be he should use a smaller motor. If a smaller motor can do the job, then the motor itself is cheap and the driver components are also cheaper. If he has to use that motor, than may be there's no cheap solution.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back