Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cannot increase LED current with LM3916 Vu Meter chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahdi.H

Hi all,

I am using this circuit as an electret preamp... **broken link removed**
Any comments? I don't really know enough to determine if this is a good circuit or not.

I am then using an LM386 for power amplification and finally using an LM3916 to create a 10 LED Volume meter. It seems to be working but the LEDs are not bright enough. I have read the LM3916 data sheet and from what I understand about the LED current formula given is that the current should increase if I lower resistor one, but the exact opposite happens!

Strangely, when I put in a large value for R1 the LEDs have a weak brightness (about 1mA through them). But when I lower the resistance (to about 1000ohm) the LEDs are very very dim and some wont even turn on (I guess because of diode threshold voltages).

Can anyone please help me make them brighter?

Thank you

Do you have a schematic for the lm3916 part?
From what I remember the current through the leds is programmed by the current drawn from the reference terminal on the '3916, recalculating the reference resistors can be done to increase brightness, at least up to a point.

the LEDs are not bright enough
Are you using a peak detector circuit?

No I'm not using a peak detector circuit yet, I will probably add one soon, but even if I do I don't think it will fix the LED current problem

No I'm not using a peak detector circuit yet, I will probably add one soon, but even if I do I don't think it will fix the LED current problem
No, it won't fix the LED current problem, but it will make the LEDs seem brighter because they will stay on for longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back