Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Canadians buying online components, when to pay in US or CAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to know Digikey is now $8.00 for shipping, they used to be $20.00 so I've place all my orders with Newark in the past year and by the way every time I receive my package the next day late afternoon weather I've ordered early the previous day or as late as 8PM.

Gordito,

If you ever order from anyone other than Digikey and Newark and they ship UPS or Fedex you can have it delivered at Freeport Forwarding, a couple of minutes drive passed the Lacolle border and it will cost you $3 for anything under 200 lbs ($5 for 200 lbs and above and $10 for a pallet) they even accept Canadian money at pair.
While you are there you can even take advantage by filling up at half the price on gas.
I always declare everything on my way back at the customs and so far I got away with not paying any taxes on parts up to $150. Only once I had to pay the 2 taxes on an order of $250 (around $33.00)

Hope this helps,

Mike

Good info Mike,thx. I don't own a car in winter but i'll keep that in mind next spring.

If i'm not mistaken, the 200$ would be the limit for tax free purchases during a 48 hour trip to the states? Then they apply GST and PST on those? I thought they applied a duty rather than tax but then i haven't done short trips across the border in years. Or maybe they just set the duty == sales taxes. How convenient :)

Actually I always go and come back on the same day and I believe the rule is $20 max (not sure) and then there is something about if the product you have purchased in USA is made outside of USA then they might charge duty but honestly it is all about how the customs officer feels like.
And that one time they charged me it was only GST and PST on 2 NAS Hard drives I purchased on Amazon.com

Mike

Last edited:
Actually I always go and come back on the same day and I believe the rule is $20 max (not sure) and then there is something about if the product you have purchased in USA is made outside of USA then they might charge duty but honestly it is all about how the customs officer feels like.
And that one time they charged me it was only GST and PST on 2 NAS Hard drives I purchased on Amazon.com

Mike

Hi Mike, since you are in Montreal too, i might as well ask which shop you go to when you need something (prototyping, components or connectors) quick, if you still visit the 'brick and mortar' stores. I've been to Active (near Decarie) which i find expensive and Addison where i find it often hard to find parts in their bins. Last time i went i wanted to pickup some molex connectors but i couldn't make a jack + plug kit, always something missing or wrong gauge. Don't even get me started on pots :)

Hi Gordito,

I find Active good for emergencies only on ICs they have small quantities but good choice. I also go to Active to spend a few hours once in a while but that is not a place to go if you are in a hurry. There is also Maddison in Laval, thye are smaller than Addison but more organized. If you are close to the west island there are **broken link removed** in DDO and **broken link removed** in St-Laurent. So to make it simple in my opinion:

1 - Newark The best
2 - Digikey shipping used to be more expensive than Newark but it just be become the best
3 - Maddison in Laval, very organized, good choice of ICs regulators, connectors, etc...
4 - Access in DDO, I usually check them out before I go to Maddison since it is closer and on my way.
5 - Active, expensive but good choice of products in an emergency.
6 - Addison, great place to kill some time, I thought I was getting to know the place pretty well until they changed everything around. oh well (more time to kill)
7 - Accessotronik, Expensive, similar to Active.

Prototypes for PCB if it is single layer I do them myself and if 2 layers I send it to Dorkbot because they are the cheapest (small quantity and small surface) and quick if you can adjust with their monthly shipment.

Hope this helps

Mike

Another place to shop in Canada is www.dipmicro.com they don't have the biggest selection of components but their shipping is dirt cheap. Good source for the basics like resistors,caps, transistors and the like.

Another place to shop in Canada is www.dipmicro.com they don't have the biggest selection of components but their shipping is dirt cheap. Good source for the basics like resistors,caps, transistors and the like.

I bought some breakout pcbs from Dipmicro this year. Good product and prompt shipping.

Hope this helps
Mike

Thanks for the extra places, i am further to the east but now i've got a few more options.

Excellent... I just checked their currency exchange rate and is the best one yet, they charge just one percent over the bank rate at XE. So that makes it 1.5%, better than mouser's 5%, newark's 8% and Digikey's 12%. We need to take this into account for large orders, it makes a bigger difference than shipping.

for example, this charger costs 29.99 Us or 30.49 CAD, just 1.467%. The rate at XE now is 0.495%
I believe i will give them a try on my next order or at least buy some of my stuff from them. The prices quoted are for 10 units, though. Need to check the fine print :)

digikey always takes 2 days to deliver to my shop, newark 1 or 2 days, mouser is always next days service with fedex and since i generally order over 200$ it is free shipping. When i got lot of parts to order than i order directly from distributors in china, it is almost 50% of pricing but more shipping fees and most just takes T/T transfer form banks. I also order form alliedelec in US funds but brokerage is included. since ive got a premium account with them i always had the lower price on their parts (listed price for 500+ parts for example even if i buy one part) but their shipping fees are high, they are 20$ up to 15lbs

Buying from Electronic Goldmine

I am contemplating buying used pcb drills from Electronic Goldmine.

Anyone (from Canada) here as experience buying from them?

From **broken link removed**
" Minimum shipping & handling of $4.95 "
- For canadian orders, is this replaced by whatever shipping cost, or is this added?

From The Electronic Goldmine
"If you are an international customer, please see the international section below. If you live in Canada, please select the Parcel Post Canada option."

Does this mean it is send via USPS to the border?
In your experiences,
1) About how much did it cost
2) How long did it take to get home (specify destination)
3) Additional costs like brokerage?

Thanks

I am contemplating buying used pcb drills from Electronic Goldmine.

I got my drill bits from a guy on eBay. Don't remember the name, I can look it up. Sent USPS, no duty or brokerage.

I ordered from Goldmine many years ago, but I worked in the States at the time, so no experience ordering over the border.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back