Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you use xbee to transmit video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

I haven't used xbee modules before but they sound pretty cool! So I was wondering if you could stream video over xbee from a camera? Because this one on sparkfun says it can transmit up to 15 miles! SparkFun Electronics - XBee Pro 900 XSC RPSMA

So if anybody could give me an answer that would be great thanks!

One more thing, how do they communicate?

The short answer is no.

Data rate for the module is 9.6kbps Max

According to Wikipedia

Video

• 16 kbit/s – videophone quality (minimum necessary for a consumer-acceptable "talking head" picture using various video compression schemes)
You can send image data but not fast enough to make it look continuous.

They communicate via radio???

3v0

Last edited:
Not with that one.

9.6kbps Max data rate

With a regular one at max datarate point to point of 250kbps possibly, but I hate math. You would need to work out exactly what bitrate you would need for the image quality/FPS that you want. You'll need to use some type of compression.

This may help:
SparkFun Electronics :: View topic - Xbee baud rate question

EDIT: Ninja Posted by 3V0. Guess I sat on this one too long.

Last edited:
What I am trying to do is have a rig attached to a balloon, the rig has a camera with servos for controlling its position, and I wanted to use a xbee module to control the servos from earth and also relay video info back to earth, so I could see the earth from way up there:D

What I am trying to do is have a rig attached to a balloon, the rig has a camera with servos for controlling its position, and I wanted to use a xbee module to control the servos from earth and also relay video info back to earth, so I could see the earth from way up there:D

I would suggest you look at using an xbee setup for telemetry data, but have a separate wireless video link with a GPS tracking antenna. I'd recommend 5.ghz instead of 2.4 to get a better image with the video transmitter.

To control the servos I'd recommend a long range UHF system like this one..

(video shows it working out to 21km, but you should be able to increase that with a 7W booster)

YouTube - 21Km FPV flight with Scherrer VHF system. Better quality.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back