Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you become an engineer if you hated physics in gymnasium/highschool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparko

I joined college and I picked an electrotechnical specialty in the navy.I am not certain if this is what I want because I was a poor student in gymnasium/highschool at physics and the books were filled with formulas without explaining how they act in the real world.From gymnasium I hated physics and I couldn't understand a thing.After gymnasium was highschool and from that moment I memorized formulas in physics without being able to aply them to the real world.My teachers,both in gymnasium and highschool cared about profit from private tutoring or students who applied in olympics events and nothing more. I wasn't lucky to be guided in a specialty where I can work with joy and this is how I ended up here.
Is it possible to retake all the physics courses in college? I look at my physics courses and they weren't difficult(their level is at a highschool level combined with some advanced math).
Math is not a difficult subject as I had good grades in algebra and trigonometry.
After I graduate college I won't become an ETO(Electro-Technical-Officer) because I will have to start as an electrician or assistant electrician cadet in the navy.
I also forgot to mention the fact that if I will graduate from this specialty I will become an exploitation engineer and I will have nothing in common with projection or pcb circuits.

You have posted this same question in different places (e.g here). You get responses, but they are, apparently, not the response that you want and so you keep posting.

I am not likely to give you the answer you want because I read some of your responses and I would tell you honestly that unless you start to understand your role in where you find yourself today, you are going to continue to have difficulty. Stop telling people about what you hate and how you did not learn this or that because the teacher didn't explain it or they were corrupt and so on and so forth.

In other words, stop asking people on the Internet how to turn your life from victimized to successful in a forum post.

Not what you wanted to hear but it is my response.

Hold on there tiger!
Even us retired people have other things to do during the day. (I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon re-sharpening carbide engraving bits).

Gymnasium - a word in Germanic languages for secondary school or high school.
Not to be confused with places for running around and getting all hot and sweaty.

Back to your question.
I don't know how it is in your country (Romania ?), but here many things are possible.
Among the people that I have worked with in various branches of electronics, there have been some varied career paths, very few of them following a defined fixed route.
So, join the navy, learn what you can and see what happens.

JimB

You are what you are. Noone can change you. Some folks are way too serious. Some are not. Always look for the funny side and just be you :)

Be true to yourself :) :)

If you make a stuff up...admit it. That way you gain respect. Noone likes people that take themselves too seriously.

During the early 80's I hated gym/high school ... I had a bully that tormented me, but I survived. Move on dude. The way I see it from the OP is that he answered his own question within the title question. If he is having doubts then perhaps that is his answer. Engineering is about figuring things out and understanding/applying them from a fundamental perspective.

Last edited:
During the early 80's I hated gym ... I had a bully that tormented me, but I survived. Move on dude. The way I see it from the OP is that he answered his own question within the title question. If he is having doubts then perhaps that is his answer. Engineering is about figuring things out and understanding/applying them from a fundamental perspective.
I didn't answered my own questions,these were existential questions.I was a failure during school(gymnasium) and highschool because of teachers and classmates who mistreated me because I couldn't give them bribes.(fruits,electronics devices,toys etc)
I joined for the first year and I will see if I am prepared or not for this career.Anyway,thanks for trying....

In other words, stop asking people on the Internet how to turn your life from victimized to successful in a forum post.
I should try talking to a career counselor? I went to one in my town and she didn't help me a lot.All she did was making me write a cv and an employment letter.That's not really what I wanted....I wanted something else...

Sparko,

Honestly a lot of what I know, I didn't learn in school ... I taught myself ... So the only teacher I can blame is ME.
And in school, even college, I was told by the counselor that I would never amount to much.

I'll tell you a story:
After 30 years in the industry, I was fired from an engineering job because of nothing I did wrong.
I was an escape goat for my boss, because he wouldn't take responsibility for a bad decision he made.
We'll just leave it at that.

Now? I'm working on a multi million dollar project with a team of 5 other people I helped bring together
and individually we are all making twice the amount I made from my previous job.

So, I don't want to hear any excuses about how someone else did you wrong. Bottom line ...
YOU are your own teacher and it is up to you how you carve your path.

And that I Totally agree with Beau. These kids have to Man Up and take responsibility.

I know engineers that know almost nothing about physics but passed four years of E-engineering. (not the best engineers)
For most engineers physics, chemistry, math, computer, is easy. I struggle with basic reading and writing.
There are many types of engineers. Some push paperwork all day. I push electrons. There are types of engineers where physics is not important and types where their work is based on physics.
Do what you like. My hobby is engineering, and I get money for doing my hobby.
Do what comes easy. For me engineering is easy. I will not write a fiction book because that is very hard for me.
In this country it is become typical for people to have more than one career in a lifetime. Keep your eye open, look for things you will enjoy doing.
Some times you will have to work a very bad job to feed your family. Stand up tall and do that job and keep looking for better.

I hope 50 years from now you will look back and know you did well.

Do what you like. My hobby is engineering, and I get money for doing my hobby.

Ive had a series of hobbies - fishing, then auto restoration, cabinetry, flipping a series of houses, mountain biking, ultimate frisbee and, eventually, electronics. Now people pay me so much to help them integrate electronics into their hobbies, that my hobby is actually becoming my second job and the fun is going away. Now I need a new hobby (but it can't take up too much time - I have two jobs now)..

Life is funny, the older I get, the easier it is to make money and the more vacation time I get. I wish I could have lived my life in reverse - making money this easily with 38-days of PTO when we were young parents. I don't need the money or vacation as much as I did then.

I feel like it doesn't matter if you are not that smart enough for as long as you have the passion. If you really want to be an engineer then try to strive hard to achieve that dream of yours.

If you try har, you will get what you want.
Also, it depends on what kind of engineer you want to became. Computer engineer - easy, space stations not so much.
It's like Rolling Stones song:
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

So, wish you luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back