Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone ID this LED type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

https://i.imgur.com/UmtmwBf.png
https://i.imgur.com/u4MVATt.png

From a 25 year old electronic device, the LED is about 2mm by 2mm and almost 3mm tall with the dome. The leads are straight out of the side. I tried looking for similar low profile LED and I keep finding the larger 5mmx5mm of similar design with 4 pins straight down rather than 2 leads to the sides. It is not SMD as it is not actually soldered in but taped to a plastic flex circuit.

Because it is not soldered in, regular SMD probably won't work in its place. I checked with a regular 3mm LED, it does not quite fit as it is too tall and I don't have the means of cutting the top of the LED while maintaining the dome top.

I used to see this quite often before SMD LEDs became common. And searching for low profile LED -smd gets me oh about 10,000 results, all for household lighting which won't work off a 2v DC rail (actually about 5v plus in line resistor) and are way too big. Is there a specific term I need to use beside low profile?

Two types. Not exactly the same.
I can not find anything less then 4mm
TLPR5600_sml.JPG

upload_2015-3-19_6-18-21.png

Does that mean the design is obsolete and probably extinct? I tried searching in 2mm and 3mm range for LED with leads on a few electronic sites and on eBay, and I keep getting either the standard T1 or SMD. Looks like I may need to ghetto one by getting a 2mm or 3mm SMD LED, clipping the old LED while leaving the leads intact and soldering the SMD LED directly to the old leads.

Just before Christmas I found some plastic translucent ghosts with many of these kind of LEDs on the curb before Halloween. They are red ones, blue ones and green ones and are obviously Chinese. I used them in some solar garden lights.
I doubt they are made anymore.

Hello,
similar question of mine i have seen some dual color led which automatically change there color example RB , how they work and what is there name?

I have seen some dual color led which automatically change there color example RB , how they work and what is there name?
I have some LEDs that slowly fade red, blue and green into millions of colors then each color alternates and blinks fairly quickly around and around before the action repeats over and over. The LED has an extremely small IC inside the does the fading, blinking and current limiting. There are separate LED chips inside for the 3 colors. The special LED is used in a "garden decoration" sold at The Dollar Store for only $1.00 and in addition to the LED it contains 3 button battery cells and an on-off switch. The housing has a clear plastic flower head that fits over the LED and glows with all the colors.
It is amazing that for only $1.00 it has the LED that is worth more, the battery cells worth much more, the store and slow boat from China make profit and the manufacturer also makes profit. Then its cost must be equivalent to a few grains of rice.

Then its cost must be equivalent to a few grains of rice.
That is my experiance. We have products on the shelf for less than the price of the battery.
Some where I have the data sheet in the IC that makes the millions of colors. It is programmable. (micro sequencer not micro controller)

Hello,
micro sequencer thanks that great name i heard from you !
how to work on it??
and name of that leds??

koolguy (the OP). Thisthread has morfed (been Hi-Jacked) into other questions. See my post #5. It look, single color and has the dimensions like you want, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back