Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i use a used computer power supply for my projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi, they sell cheap used computer power supplies and i think they have regulated 12V and 5 V outputs. Do you recommend me using this as opposed to the pricy power supplies out there? I just want to use it to power an LCD which requires 5V regulated and it could drain as much as 100 ma. I dont want to overload my microcontroller so i want to use this separate one. Do you forsee any problems with this?

I not recommend for use only 100mA load. If You want use apply min. 500mA additional dummy load (lamp) to 5V output for proper work.

Yes, evandude i was inattentive with Your post... We recommend the same thing - i wrote not recommend the use only with 100mA load.

10 watt resistor :eek:

i've heard of alot of people making bench power supplies out of old PC supplies... and i've seen a few that have really really turned out nice (complete with banana plugs, etc.). Becuase of this, i'm positive there are schematics and details all over the internet for converting a computer power supply into a normal power supply. It's exspecially a popular thing to do in the computer case modding world - have a seperate old AT supply to power cold cathodes, etc. that they have on there case, so it won't take away from the power used for there computer equipment.

as mentioned above, there is something you need to do to make the power supply turn on and stay on, otherwise it'll be in 'off' mode if you will, if you just go plugging things into the molex connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back