Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I replace this diode with this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3Riks

Hi guys!

I'm planning to build this RS232 to RS485 converter circuit...

**broken link removed**

my problem is I can't find the D7 and D6 Transil Diode components.

its just there to protect the circuit from very high voltages.

i just like to ask if I can replace it with a 6.8v 5 watts diode or any other diode.

well i can remove it from the circuit and the circuit will function the same, but i still want some protection. what diode should i use that will protect me from high voltages?

Diode protection

Hi,

The transil diodes or TVS (transient voltage suppressor) wil protect the circuit against +/- voltage swings over 6.8 V.

Because this circuit does not use a negative rail, a zener diode is enough for your application, but a better replacement is a MOV (metal oxide varistor) or varistor for the same voltage rating.

Regards

My system work fine 3 years ago in industrial environment with this protection:

Attachments

• Rs485.JPG
    Rs485.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 941
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back