Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I rectify peaks in audio linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricaudio

Hi!.

First post here,

great site!

I am hoping you can help me build a peak rectifier for audio signals of frequency around 1Khz.

So far, I came up across lots of them, but I want one with a distinctive characteristic:

Usually in a peak rectifier there is a capacitor with certain charging/discharging time.
The capacitor charges/discharges expontially in time.

I want a peak rectifier with a capacitor that charges linearly.

The rectifier I want shall also have a very rapid charging time constant (no more than 1ms) and a very slow discharging one (close to 50ms).

Anyone able to assist, probably with a schematic?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Ea.

If the capacitor charges linearily, how do you know the peak has not already passed by the time the capacitor is charged? Normally, in a peak detector, the capacitor charges very fast and stops at the peak. What exactly are you trying to do?

To get a linear charge/discharge you need to provide a constant current to the capacitor, this would be difficult from the scheme you mention. Also the requirement for a linear charging seems a bit strange?, as Russlk says, what exactly are you trying to do?, and why do you think you need a linear charging curve?.

This circuit might do the trick.
I copied and pasted from other stuff but haven't tried it.

Attachments

• linear_peak_rectifier.png
    linear_peak_rectifier.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 246
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back