Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I power a digispark with a 12v battery to the VIN pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoghunter

I have done some searching, but want to be sure about this. Can I attach a 12v battery to the digispark's VIN & GND to provide it with power. Some of the things I have read seem to indicate (not clearly stated) that there is a built in buck converter to take it down to 5V. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Power via USB or External Source - 5v or 7-35v (12v or less recommended, automatic selection)
On-board 500ma 5V Regulator
It looks like; if you plug it into a USB port it lives off +5V. BUT If you power it from JP2, and send 12V into pin 1 it should work in the 7 to 20V range just fine. See the data sheet on the 78M05.
upload_2017-8-16_6-48-37.png

It looks like; if you plug it into a USB port it lives off +5V. BUT If you power it from JP2, and send 12V into pin 1 it should work in the 7 to 20V range just fine. See the data sheet on the 78M05.
View attachment 107558

Great, thanks!

I found this linear voltage regulator on Mouser's website. Can I use this to power my digispark instead of the step down voltage regulator board I am currently using? It would be great to have this 'thru hole' IC as part of my circuit/pcb and would eliminate the additional board altogether.
I will be studying the datasheet of course.... It states a MAX input of 18v and fixed output of 5v. Would this still need to be connected to PIN 1 instead of the '5v' pin?

upload_2017-8-16_17-37-53.png

I am currently using this:

upload_2017-8-16_17-48-34.png

Last edited:
Why do you want to use a separate regulator, when there is already 5V regulator on the digispark board ?

Look at the data from post #2.
You will see a 78MK05 which is almost the same as 78LR05 from post #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back