Can I power a digispark with a 12v battery to the VIN pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoghunter

I have done some searching, but want to be sure about this. Can I attach a 12v battery to the digispark's VIN & GND to provide it with power. Some of the things I have read seem to indicate (not clearly stated) that there is a built in buck converter to take it down to 5V. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Power via USB or External Source - 5v or 7-35v (12v or less recommended, automatic selection)
On-board 500ma 5V Regulator
It looks like; if you plug it into a USB port it lives off +5V. BUT If you power it from JP2, and send 12V into pin 1 it should work in the 7 to 20V range just fine. See the data sheet on the 78M05.

It looks like; if you plug it into a USB port it lives off +5V. BUT If you power it from JP2, and send 12V into pin 1 it should work in the 7 to 20V range just fine. See the data sheet on the 78M05.
View attachment 107558

Great, thanks!

I found this linear voltage regulator on Mouser's website. Can I use this to power my digispark instead of the step down voltage regulator board I am currently using? It would be great to have this 'thru hole' IC as part of my circuit/pcb and would eliminate the additional board altogether.
I will be studying the datasheet of course.... It states a MAX input of 18v and fixed output of 5v. Would this still need to be connected to PIN 1 instead of the '5v' pin?

I am currently using this:

Last edited:
Why do you want to use a separate regulator, when there is already 5V regulator on the digispark board ?

Look at the data from post #2.
You will see a 78MK05 which is almost the same as 78LR05 from post #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…