Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone ID this brand symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I have a 2A/250V 5A/120V panel mount toggle switch here that is damaged and I need a replacement. I am contacting the mfg but I don't know if I'll get any info out of them.

The switch has a marking that looks like a capital D with a small resistor symbol running vertically inside of the letter next to the vertical line that makes up the 'D'. It sort of looks like

||)

where the first | connects with the ) to make a D, and the middle | sort of looks like a resistor.

Any idea who makes it? I think it might be Mountain Switch (if you turn the D sideways, the resistor looks like two mountains kind of). The plastic is red in color if that helps.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Why?

I have a 2A/250V 5A/120V panel mount toggle switch here that is damaged and I need a replacement. I am contacting the mfg but I don't know if I'll get any info out of them.

The switch has a marking that looks like a capital D with a small resistor symbol running vertically inside of the letter next to the vertical line that makes up the 'D'. It sort of looks like

||)

where the first | connects with the ) to make a D, and the middle | sort of looks like a resistor.

Any idea who makes it? I think it might be Mountain Switch (if you turn the D sideways, the resistor looks like two mountains kind of). The plastic is red in color if that helps.

Any help is appreciated.

The electrical specifications sounds like a standard toggle switch, are the physical dimensions unusual so that you can not replace it with a brand x?

Last edited:
The repair is for my gun dealer. He's gotten my family and I some good deals over the years, so I'd like to get him an exact replacement if I can. Also I want to get a good deal on my next shotgun :) I'm looking to take up skeet shooting as a hobby. I'm thinking of a Remington 1100 for both fun at the range and something to keep beside the bed. My neighborhood has gone downhill over the last decade and I have a lot of electronics in my lab.

I've found a replacement that will work. The toggle on the original is fairly short, and the replacement would cosmetically look weird next to it. Just trying to get an exact one to be nice.

Last edited:
Nevermind, it is a Light Country Co switch (a Chinese MFG). It looks like Mouser rebrands them Mountain Switch and sells them on their own. I used the MFG codes in the Light Country Co data sheet to find the right switch on Mouser (which, oddly, uses very very similar part numbers for their Mountain Switch brand :) )

Last edited:
Why do American gangsters keep a rifle beside their bed??
Why do Americans love guns?? Killings?? Murders??

Why do Americans love guns?? Killings?? Murders??

I think that Americans seem to like guns because of their history. In the first few hundred years of that country's existence, they found guns necessary to survive. More importantly, the American philosophy and one of the foundations of their culture is that of personal freedom and personal responsibility. The American philosophy has always been "less government", especially when compared to the European systems that they fled in the first place, and this has meant that individuals felt that they needed their own personal level of protection and their own personal means to go out and kill something to eat. This feeling has become embedded in the national psyche.

There are many examples of how the laws and behavior of the government of the USA have favored grass roots law and order rather than imposition of order from above. Especially as the west became populated. I recently read a book called Klondike written by Pierre Berton, a Canadian. I have never read of a more stark contrast between the American and the Canadian (read British) way of doing things than in the stories of two similar gold rush towns, one in the US in Alaska and another across the border in Canada. These towns were Skagway and Dawson. The Americans left it up to the townspeople of Skagway to look after themselves, whereas in Dawson it was the North West Mounted Police that controlled things and kept the peace. The Canadians got along without all the guns because their protection from the police was actually remarkably effective and so they felt safe. Not so in Skagway, where no policeman would save you if you weren't handy with a pistol.

In the 20th century the actual need for a personal weapon decreased, but the perception that one was necessary, or the desire to maintain the old ways did not. So the right to a personal weapon, and the perceived need for one, has become somewhat embedded in their culture.

If you believe what you see on TV, it seems like things are returning to the ways of the old west, as modern gangs increasingly use deadly force in their businesses. Take Mexico's situation as a glaring example of how far that can go. I believe that TV does not depict reality, but at the same time, the statistics from places like Los Angeles do seem to reinforce that gun use is alive and well, so to speak, among the amateur and professional criminal alike, especially when they come together in gangs. So things may be changing slowly for the worse, but it is hard for a casual observer like me to know the reality.

As for why gangsters use guns, well that is a no-brainer. Guns are very effective and easily concealed weapons. And a shotgun beside the bed helps them sleep at night.

I started out my post by saying the Americans "seem" to like guns ..... It is useful to point out that our view of Americans comes by way of TV, newspapers and the like. These do not depict reality.

Perhaps a larger puzzle is why do American TV shows invariably devolve to punch-ups and gunplay to make them attractive to the viewers. Whether it is science-fiction drama, comedy, love stories, westerns, spy mysteries, or just good-ol downhome melodrama about the family farm, it seems that script writers can't help put drop a few punch-ups or gun battles (or explosions, I do indeed like explosions) into every second scene. The impression this leaves on an outside observer is that of a very violent culture. I've been to the USA numerous times and have never witnessed such behavior.

It is the tolerance of the viewers that determines how much violence is on the shows. Perhaps then, the tolerance of Britons is quite different than Americans to violence in their culture. For example, in our household, we watch equal amounts of BBC productions and US shows. The contrast between a police drama from Britain ("Dalzeil and Pascoe", "Silent Witness" et al), and a police drama from the US ("CSI xxx", "Law and Order" ) is stark and disturbing.

Is this a symptom of a civilization in decline? Moral decay and tolerance of the basest forms of entertainment, like the gladiators vs the lions, is this what we see in morally corrupt and therefore doomed cultures? I dunno. And what does this have to do with criminals and gunplay? It is all about what the majority will tolerate. Perhaps Mr. Obama can raise the bar on such things in the USA. Give them some credit, these Americans have a history of taking back the night, so to speak. Or at least that is what I learned from Gary Cooper films. Ha ha.

Last edited:
I moved away from Hongcouver when the hippies from Toronto went there and many Chinese people went there and I went to Toronto.

Most people under arrest for murder in Toronto shown on the TV news are African-Americans. Most prisons are full of African-Americans. Most slums are full of the same.

The repair is for my gun dealer. He's gotten my family and I some good deals over the years, so I'd like to get him an exact replacement if I can. Also I want to get a good deal on my next shotgun :) I'm looking to take up skeet shooting as a hobby. I'm thinking of a Remington 1100 for both fun at the range and something to keep beside the bed. My neighborhood has gone downhill over the last decade and I have a lot of electronics in my lab.

I've found a replacement that will work. The toggle on the original is fairly short, and the replacement would cosmetically look weird next to it. Just trying to get an exact one to be nice.

Do the guy a real favor and install an American made switch!

Interesting how the mention of guns....

Early cannon were made in bell foundries. It is said that towns would give up if told the army just over the hill had guns. Strange because the early cannon were not very effective. Possibly the noise. Mostly the fear.

As I recall ... all we have to fear, is fear itself!

The laws and conditons that enable the drug dealing crooks to get rich is by far a more dangerous problem the the guns.

3v0

Just to bring back the question, You never have to get the EXACT same company part, as long as you get the same specs from someone else your fine (unless size is a huge issue)

Anyways, interesting topic brought out here...

Funny enough, I actually have two rifles under my bed right now and a box of ammo on the shelf. And nothing on my record save for a speeding ticket when I was seventeen :) Honestly I don't think gangsters could handle the recoil of what I've got. They're under my bed right now because I haven't gotten around to buying a gun safe. Don't worry, I don't have kids. I'm good so long as my dog doesn't get inquisitive and figure out how to load them, cycle the action and pull the trigger. You never know with border collies though, so I'm still looking for a safe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back