Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone donate a Z80 chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

I'm embarrassed to say my resources are still rather dismal and so I'm (begging) wondering if a fellow hobbyist may have a spare Z80 chip laying around that he/she would consider donating to me for an experimental project? Of course beggars can't be choosers but a 4-MHz chip in a DIP-40 or PLCC-44 package would be ideal.

I'd like to test a "pocket Z80" three chip 64K computer design which would include a serial interface and SDcard storage. I did something like this earlier this year (see below) after someone gave me a couple CDP1802 CPUs and I'd like to try and duplicate that success using the more powerful and more popular Z80 CPU.

Thank you all for your time and kind consideration.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Pocket 1802 Rev 3 (small).png

1802 Running.png

Last edited:
I got most of my hobbyist components from eBay, including Z80 and other old chips like the 8051. Prices are reasonable ($5-$10 inclusive of shipping) too, although shipping is sometimes slow if the seller is in China.

Mike

If you really are stuck for a z80, I have a couple of Z80A going spare which I could send to you.

JimB

If you really are stuck for a z80, I have a couple of Z80A going spare which I could send to you.
Thank you for the offer but another Gentleman has put a Z80 in the post for me so I'm all set.

Thank you all.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Z80 0b (small).png

Last edited:
Hmm, I recently rediscovered a tray of spare C64 custom chips since the 80's. The pins are starting to corrode. I had socketed a complete C64 including the RAM as a test unit for 'bad' chips. I used to keep extra 'good' chips that I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back