Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anybody tell me the functions of each inductors used on this class C RF amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Can anybody tell me the detail functions of each inductors used on this class C RF amp?

If you study the class C operation, it would be a lot easier to understand the purpose of each device; The values are usually based on specific operating frequencies;
L1 (part of the of the input stage, mainly providing low impedance path to the base of transistor.--best to use an addditional capacitor in series)
L2( inductor used as high impedance to RF signal while providing zero DC bias for transistor)
L3 (used as a energy storage for the output resonance circuit during transistor OFF time)
L4 ( part of the tuned output resonance tank used to keep the output sine wave going during the non-conducting portion of the input cycle).

i think they are not very critical in their values, are they?

Last edited:
wrong...
L4 for example is a part of a tuned RF circuit.

i think they are not very critical in their values, are they?

About the only one which is not single-value specific is L2, The idea there is to provide high impedance to your rf signal while providing dc ground at the base. Therefore it's value must be within a range lets say (1-100UH). Sometimes a ferrite bead will also do the job. Remember that in Class C, there is practically no DC biasing. The input signal controls the turn on/off, thereby increasing efficiency. Other coil values are infact critical and application specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back