Can a Small Hand Held Frequency Counter be used to sniff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavilan

I have found a reasonably priced hand held frequency counter which detects through a very broad frequency range.

Would this device be effective in sweeping for RF tracking and bugging devices?

It has a digital frequency read out and a bar graph for field strength.

Gavilan

Put a cell phone next to it and see how far away it can sniff, seeing as this is a relatively high power output (as compared to a bug wich is extremely low)

While it might work I don't think I'd rely on it without doing an awful lot of experimentation. A relatively powerful and continuous source of RF would seem likely to register. I've heard of people using these to pick up police or security frequencies - fairly powerful transmitters within very short distances (50 meters).

A cell phone transmits intermittently - no way of knowing until you try, if it will see the cell phone. A low power, simple bug might or might not be powerful enough. Like a cell phone, it would seem that a tracking transmitter would be intermittent - to preserve power and to avoid detection. Some tracking devices don't transmit until receiving a command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…