Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a Small Hand Held Frequency Counter be used to sniff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavilan

I have found a reasonably priced hand held frequency counter which detects through a very broad frequency range.

Would this device be effective in sweeping for RF tracking and bugging devices?

It has a digital frequency read out and a bar graph for field strength.

Gavilan

Put a cell phone next to it and see how far away it can sniff, seeing as this is a relatively high power output (as compared to a bug wich is extremely low)

While it might work I don't think I'd rely on it without doing an awful lot of experimentation. A relatively powerful and continuous source of RF would seem likely to register. I've heard of people using these to pick up police or security frequencies - fairly powerful transmitters within very short distances (50 meters).

A cell phone transmits intermittently - no way of knowing until you try, if it will see the cell phone. A low power, simple bug might or might not be powerful enough. Like a cell phone, it would seem that a tracking transmitter would be intermittent - to preserve power and to avoid detection. Some tracking devices don't transmit until receiving a command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back