Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a PIC do ICD in LVP mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Hi, I don't often ask for help here but after spending a couple of hours reading datasheets, hunting through appnotes and searching google and Microchip.com I'm still no closer to an exact answer. I'm not a PIC newbie, but I have no experience with with custom LVP setups as I have always used Microchip programmers. Here goes;

Is the PIC ICD (in circuit debugging) mode available when in LVP mode (ie when LVP bit is set and the programmer/ICD device is LVP capable only)?

The only ICD data I got from Microchip.com was the user guide for the ICD2 which says that LVP bit must be disabled, but that may be applicable for the ICD2 device hardware only, rather than a feature of the target PIC itself.

The PIC datasheet says nothing on the matter and there does not seem to be any Microchip appnotes explaining how to do ICD, and the appnotes explaining the LVP process don't cover any details on ICD.

So if anyone has experience with using LVP-only programmer or ICD please speak up. :) Likewise if someone knows a good PIC "how to" on doing ICD or appnote etc that they can suggest?

I just turned on LVP in a current project using a 16F886 and I get the following warning,

PKWarn0008: The target will be programmed with LVP enabled. PICkit 2 cannot debug the target in this state. Would you like to disable LVP?

So I guess the answer is No.

Mike.

Thanks Pommie for testing that, I appreciate it. So since both the ICD2 and PK2 don't support the feature, it is looking likely that the PIC is not capable of that feature.

Really this is still a guess though, it's a shame that Microchip don't provide much in the way fo documentation for ICD, as an ICD appnote would clear up the matter pretty quick. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back