Can a 14 Pin PIC be Cut to 8 Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

I guess, the silicon die would be a very small size, if I were to know exactly where it was located, maybe I could cut-off some extra-unnecessary Pins to save space? Of-course, I need to save the pins necessary for programming (or maybe I needn't: just program the device with bug-free firmware, and rip-off the Pins)

(P.S.: I know there are 8-Pin or 6-Pin Pics. . Its just that I don't currently have those. Either-way, I want to know if the above is possible)

Thanks for reading.

I wouldn't recommend cutting any ic although I don't know much about PIC's.

I would think it might damage the ic, I would just buy an 8 pin PIC

That would be a very bad idea, since the connecting wires are extremely thin (thinner than a human hair) and it would be next to impossible to reconnect them.

PICs are not expensive. Many of the 12Fs are 6/8 pin, and you can buy them online very cheap. A 12F683, for example, is a PIC you might want to look into. You can buy it from microchip for $1.29 USD. If you try cutting off parts of a PIC, you are 99.999999% likely to completely destroy it, even if you don't cut up the die itself. Just buy the smaller PICs. It'll be cheaper in the long run

Regards

That would be a very bad idea, since the connecting wires are extremely thin (thinner than a human hair) and it would be next to impossible to reconnect them.

Regards
I don't need to re-connect the wires. I just need 1 or 2 pins in addition to 2 pins for power supply pin. So, if the die was aligned on the left-side, perhaps I could cut it in the middle and loose half of the pins, and still be able to use the other half.
Does micro-chip reveal the internal layout?. As a Last resort, I need to sacrifice one and find-out.

Its not that I want to save some money or like that. Just for the fun part, and for seeing the reaction of my friends screaming -"Which 8-pin PIC is that?"

Well do what you want--it's your money and your chips. I just really don't recommend it....

IMHO, the inside of ICs are completely semiconductor and metal contacts on a wafer(see image).
So, it will nearly be an impossible job to cut an IC and make it work. Without going into the internal design of the IC, it will be impossible to make a cut IC work.

Last edited:
what is the package?
the silicon die is in the middle of the package most of the time.
you can't chop off the top and bottom of most packages without also cutting the ground and power pins.

oh, and silicon is expensive, there is no extra silicon.

If you really have to ask, I would say go ahead and hack it off. Apparently you have not use for the full-size PIC anyways. If the pins really bother you, you could trim them off (with a 50/50 chance you would stress the internal bond wires and cause some other malfunction. Or just do the sensible thing and get the right-size PIC, or live with the one you have.

Just post where you are in the world..... I'm sure someone will swap you some 14 pins for 8 pins

The 14 pin PIC's (pic16f688) pins 5,6,78,9 & 10 are the PORTC pins... you don't have to use them atall not even for programming.

bend them up and out of the way and place it into an 8 pin socket...

Its not impossible to cut a IC and still use it:
**broken link removed**

Also most DIE are in center of IC. You could always make a adapter to turn the 14 pin device into a 8 pin dip as a better choice.

Possible sure, but you can't even guess how long will keep working, because of oxidation, moisture and stress from cutting.

Its not impossible to cut a IC and still use it:
**broken link removed**

Also most DIE are in center of IC. You could always make a adapter to turn the 14 pin device into a 8 pin dip as a better choice.

Jason, that link says it is possible....

Its not that I want to save some money or like that. Just for the fun part, and for seeing the reaction of my friends screaming -"Which 8-pin PIC is that?"

I think it might be possible, if you had the right equipment to do the cutting. Considering only common tools, my first choice would be a belt grinder/sander. A mill, Dremel with abrasive cut-off, or jeweler's saw might be a good choices too. If you use a chain saw, be sure to remove the IC's legs first, so you don't dull the saw.

But better yet, since this is primarily for its joke value, take an 8-pin PIC and grind off the end just a little. Then tell your friends it was really a 14- or 16-pin device to start with. A 16F505 is basically a 12F50x with extra I/O pins. You could slip a little and obscure the "2" to help with the joke.

John

take an 8-pin PIC and grind off the end just a little. Then tell your friends it was really a 14- or 16-pin device to start with. A 16F505 is basically a 12F50x with extra I/O pins. You could slip a little and obscure the "2" to help with the joke.
Nice one! If you've got a steady hand you could also re-label the chip.

Possible sure, but you can't even guess how long will keep working, because of oxidation, moisture and stress from cutting.

...kubeek:
As for moisture and oxidation im sure you can use a sealer to seal the ends of the chip to prevent both as for stress from cutting... well if it works it works... its a hack not a 100% GOING TO WORK ON FIRST TRY type thing.

Also I sense some hostility in that post (like you just have to be correct). No one asked what are the risk and other related info. Just asked if a 14 pin can be cut into 8 and still work. The answer is yes!

... Original Poster:
Also if its a good PIC... you can have a software bootloader to run VIA 2 pins which can update your code.

Last edited:
Also I sense some hostility in that post (like you just have to be correct). No one asked what are the risk and other related info. Just asked if a 14 pin can be cut into 8 and still work. The answer is yes!
I didnt mean it to sound hostile. I just wanted to point out that while at the time you cut the chip it worked flawlessly, in a years time it could be dead with no apparent reason. You sure can seal it, but still it never will be as reliable as the unmodified part.
I am not saying it can´t be done or you shouldn´t do it, just that there are other concerns than the simple will or won´t work after you cut it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…