Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calling all experts (or at least the moderately skilled): mp3-car audio amp project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki6fzb

Hello,

My car currently has no stereo, so in lieu of buying a stereo, I'd like to build an amplifier circuit to connect my MP3 player to my car's speakers.

The obvious problem is that I don't know how!

I am very new (about two months or so) to circuit design and building. I know my basics (Ohm's laws, EIR, PIE equations, etc.) and understand the basic concept of a transistor amplifier. Beyond that, I'm a bit fuzzy.

I have perused around and using a MOSFET IC (such as one of the TDA series ICs) sounds like a good way to go, and I have once stumbled upon a 4 channel IC somewhere (don't remember where, though!). I've looked at many schematics, and have gotten a vague clue how to go about it, but I still don't understand enough to design my own circuit, or even really to use one of the ones I've come across. As I understand it, a car provides 12VDC, but many of the schematics call for 20VDC and up.

I realize my query is a bit open ended, but any help is appreciated, and as my research into this continues, my questions will become more focused.

Thanks!
Stuart
KI6FZB

Last edited:
I recently completed a project where I built a mono amp that was powered by the 6V system of a 1957 VW Beetle. I'm going to revive the thread a little while from now when I post some pics of the finished project. Anyway, what I ended up doing was using a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage from 6V to about 15V. National Semiconductor has the pretty awesome and free software called **broken link removed**. If you input your your associated parameters like input voltage, output voltage, and current draw it will spit out a list of appropriate components and then even generate a shematic complete with a BOM. I suggest you check it out. As for the amp itself, there are many options. I used a TDA2003. I think they make a similar stereo version. Not sure about 4 channels though but I'm sure someone here does.

Edit: Here's that thread I was talking about:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/audio-amp-component-selection.100196/

You may find it helpful.

Last edited:
VNE147, thanks for the tips!

Another question, would a single stage between the MP3 input, and the speaker outputs do the job, or would I need multiple stages?

I think that all depends on how much amplification you plan on having but I'm not certain. I don't have very much experience in building amps at all. Aside for a 1W amp IC that I once used for a project with sound, the thread I linked above is my only experience. There are probably much more qualified people here to advise you on that. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back