Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

call recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is copied right from the post:

- two 10K ohm resistors
- two diodes (regular ol’ signal diodes)
- two 10uF capacitors or equivalent
- two female phone jack sockets, circuit mount
- a female mini jack socket, circuit mount (or a male cable if you don’t have a socket available)

What's not clear?

John

jpanhalt said:
This is copied right from the post:

- two 10K ohm resistors
- two diodes (regular ol’ signal diodes)
- two 10uF capacitors or equivalent
- two female phone jack sockets, circuit mount
- a female mini jack socket, circuit mount (or a male cable if you don’t have a socket available)

What's not clear?

John

Whats not clear? where they go.

Chances are he's on Telus, but yeah. If they notice it they probably won't like it.

Torben

There are some warnings in the comments on the linked page explaining some unsafe things about the circuit, too. Caps possibly popping and so on. :eek:

Torben

Actually I got it working and I'm not on a bell contract and finally as long as the other person knows I'm recording it's all good and if it's used for training purposes.

Hi Sammy!

Actually, you're on a Telus contract. Or whoever is paying for that phone line is. :)

The legality of the recording isn't in question; it's the legality of attaching DIY gear to the phone lines. Phone companies tend to view that sort of thing in a bad light. You can buy equipment which can do it, but it's also been licensed to be attached to the phone lines, and has been checked to make sure it's safe.

I'm pretty sure the caps shown on the page with the photos are nowhere near adequate. I'm no phone tech or engineer but IIRC, phone lines regularly have voltages well over 35V on them.

Torben

Q? Is it a civil/criminal violation or a criminal illegality ? Are these things prohibited by law?

Most phone companies will simply disconnect your phone service, some might even fine you before they reconnect. Call your phone company as the rules may vary. You lease your phone line, you don't own it.

A zombie post!

vondes,

Look at the date. The last post is 9 years old.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back