Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculate Vout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that the circuit works, which I am not convinced it does!
(What on earth is T3 supposed to be doing?)

The voltage at the non-inverting input of the op-amp is set at 3.6v by the zener.

The op-amp will drive its output to try and make the inverting input the same voltage as the non-inverting input.
The voltage at the inverting input is derived from Vout by the potential divider formed from the 8k and 10k(variable) resistors.

So Vinv/Vout = Rvariable/(Rvariable + 8K)
and
Vinv is 3.6v when the circuit is working correctly.

Now you re-arrange the equations and calculate Vout.

JimB

Hi,

The output current is probably limited to appoximately 1.5 amps due to T2 and 0.4 ohm resistor.
I'm a little puzzled however at the 8k and 10k pot, which seems to allow adjusting only down to around 6.5 volts and the schematic shows a 3v to 7 volt Vcc. Maybe this circuit was designed to limit the max output voltage.
T3 could be a fast voltage clamp, used to bypass the slower op amp which takes much more time to respond to a fast change in Vcc. The only strange thing there is that the op amp will also take time to come out of saturation if that bypass is invoked for a long enough time period. I guess it could also protect against a zener blow out condition.

Where did this circuit come from and what was its original intended purpose?

Last edited:
this circuit comes out on my test! and I wanted to solve the exercises, one is calculating the Vout, this circuit has no other purpose

Hi again,

Well this circuit is a little strange in that if you set the pot to 50 percent which is 5k the output would want to go to about 9.36 volts, but the problem is there isnt enough Vcc to supply that high. Could the original supply have been a 15v supply?

Hi again,

Oh ok well then you have the solution now :)

hi,
Ran two LTspice sims, using 15V

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    22 KB · Views: 300
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I think Q3 is a thermostat. When it gets warm it turns on and reduces the output voltage of the circuit.

Hi,

I think you got it! Also, as audioguru points out, T3 may be being used for a temperature cut out sensor. As the Vbe voltage requirement lowers with temperature increase, the transistor 'may' draw more current through the collector, although this action is highly dependent on the actual transistor part number.

T3 is just a safety if the Zener breaks down, will pass more voltage .. this tension will most excite the base of T3, so the collector voltage will create a point of difference with the sender .. and protects the circuit to not pass a high value for the output!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back