Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Byte Shift Code Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I have 24 bytes & I need to shift bytes from D1 to D24, but the "New Data Byte" must feed into the 1st byte D1.
Below code I have, Can it be compact more than this?

Code:
        movlw    .24
        movwf    Temp
        movlw    D1        ;D1,D2,....D24
        movwf    FSR
        movf       New_Data,W
        movwf    INDF
        ;
S_Right    
        xorwf    INDF,W
        xorwf    INDF,F        
        xorwf    INDF,W
        incf       FSR,F
        decfsz  Temp,F
        goto      S_Right
        return

Try'
Code:
        movlw    .24-1
        movwf    Temp
        movwf    FSR
S_Right movf    INDF,w
        incf    FSR,f
        movwf    INDF
        decfsz  Temp,F
        goto      S_Right
        movf    New_Data,W
        movwf    D1
        return

Mike.

I think this might be more of what you are looking for... the entire data array is treated as a FIFO shifting from D1 to D24 with new data appearing at D1. D24 is lost at each Array shift

Code:
        movlw   d'24'-1
        movwf   Counter
        movlw   D23
        movwf   FSR
S_Right:
        movf    INDF,W
        incf    FSR,F
        movwf   INDF
        movlw   d'2'
        subwf   FSR,F
        decfsz  Counter,F
        goto    S_Right
        movf    New_Data,W
        movwf   D1
        return

Agree with Beau, though not it's less efficient than the original xor code. Note to self, don't post untested code after a night down the pub.

Mike.

Yes, I had to look at the original code closer to understand the xor's .... I remarked one line to get it to run correctly, but looking at the original code it looks like it might have been remarked already, but just a typo. Anyway, the original code looks about as tight as you can get it with that processor. You "might" be able to shave off a little more code if you arrange the data array from D24 to D1 instead of D1 to D24 and coordinate the Temp variable with the actual FSR position decrementing rather than incrementing and starting with D24, but I did not entertain that exercise.

Code:
        movlw    d'24'
        movwf    Temp
        movwf    FSR
        movf     New_Data,W
        ; movwf    INDF  ;<-- Remark this line from original code
S_Right   
        xorwf    INDF,W
        xorwf    INDF,F       
        xorwf    INDF,W
        incf     FSR,F
        decfsz   Temp,F
        goto     S_Right
        return

The only way I can see to make that quicker is to arrange for D24 to be at the end of a bank so the incf FSR can be changed to incfsz and not require the counter. Reversing the order and placing at the beginning of a bank would be better as the common (valuable) ram is at the end of each bank - alas, not possible with that chip. Alternatively, is program space allows, just straight line it - 4 instructions times 24 is only 96 program locations. Further savings could be made by just using load store 24 times resulting in only 48 program locations being used.

Mike.

Another way to do it would be to use an index pointer to the data. The data doesn't actually shift within D1 to D24, but the pointer does as far as how and when the data is retrieved and written.

The only way I can see to make that quicker is to arrange for D24 to be at the end of a bank so the incf FSR can be changed to incfsz and not require the counter. Reversing the order and placing at the beginning of a bank would be better as the common (valuable) ram is at the end of each bank - alas, not possible with that chip. Alternatively, is program space allows, just straight line it - 4 instructions times 24 is only 96 program locations. Further savings could be made by just using load store 24 times resulting in only 48 program locations being used.

Mike.
Wonderfull suggestion.That is very clever thinking.

Brut force no loops ... This is quicker but takes up more code space

Code:
S_Right: 
    movf    D23,W
    movwf    D24
    movf    D22,W
    movwf    D23
    movf    D21,W
    movwf    D22
    movf    D20,W
    movwf    D21
    movf    D19,W