Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Button or Sensor Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

iancox01

Good Morning

I am trying to find the best part/solution for a project I am working on for an escape room and would really appreciate some help please

I need to have two buttons or sensors on a wall, but they need to be hit/triggered within a few seconds after lighting up. My concern is that they won't be 100% triggered when someone reaches for them - eg if they only just touch the edge of the button - and so I am looking for the best solution to create as close to 100% reliability when the hand touches the button or is sensed very close by. And one cannot trigger the other, there needs to be two separate motions. And finally the buttons/sensors will be linked with a webpage which will play a video clip when the buttons are triggered.

I hope the above makes some sort of sense! Does anyone please have any thoughts as to the best way of achieving this outcome? The max size would be approx 75 mm diameter but can be smaller.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Best regards
Ia

How about something like these, in a "button" head mounted via a spring - any touch that made it move in any direction should trigger the sensor:

Note that you do need the circuit shown or similar, as the internal contacts in the sensor may be open or closed when it is static; the circuit converts changes in state to a "triggered" logic signal.

Add a diode across the 470K resistor to give faster response but still a reasonable pulse output.

A normal (non latching) emergency stop button (also called mushroom buttons) must pass vigorous testing but are probably (much) more expensive than RJ's solution.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back