Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buter Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTlabs

Butler Bot

I have an Idea for a butler bot. It will carry around, well, almost anything that fits in the box. It will have two levels. the top level will be a 15.5 x 12 black rectangle with a metal frame around he bottom for support. the box will sit in a hole cut out of the rectangle. this sits on 4 15" aluminum tubes hooked up to the lower level. It has all of the boards, chips, batteries, and wheels. the wheels will go through the lower level holes and will be controlled by a gear box.

I already have allot done, but still need to know what gearbox and wheels to use and what is a light weight wood to use for the walls. I was thinking of using this and **broken link removed**. the robot weighs like 7.5 lbs now, i think, would it have high enough torque? do you guys think it could go 1 ft/2 sec.

Last edited:
Try the surplus places like electronic goldmine. Sparkfun is like a candy store but you will not find many bargains there.

And you will need an H-Bridge that can handle the current used by the motors.

The stuff to move a 10 or 20 lb robot will not be inexpensive. Maybe you should go for a smaller version.

Last edited:
You need to start reading the info provided with these motors. I have never built a 20 lb robot but can tell you that you need to think larger more powerful.

They do not give any specs for these motors other then the size. They are both about 2 inches long. Do you think a tiny two inch long motor is going to move your 10 to 20 lb robot. And one has an output shaft speed of 6 RPM !

Start by building and programming a small, simple, and much less expensive lightweight robot.

Last edited:
Do you have batteries and included the weight of what might be put in the box for it to carry ?

No I do not.

You may think that I am not being helpful, but it seems you are diving in the deep end and there are no lifeguards !

Start with a small robot that you can drive with the $10 double gearbox. Everything you learn there can be applied to your dream robot. Check out http://letsmakerobots.com/

If I am wrong I am sorry. You have not indicated anything regarding what you can or can not do.

Last edited:
Motors

There are always some nice little gear motors on e-bay. Type in gear motor. They are about 1" dia. and a 3 inches long.

This first one on this surplus site could do it, I think
**broken link removed**
It could be driven by an L298 H bridge, which are fairly easy to hook up if you just look at the diagram on the data sheet.
They have some lead acid batteries too, if you want a lot of power for this heavy bot:
**broken link removed**

I'm also dreaming of building something similar but based on ARM
anyway I'm thinking of using those 10Ω stepper motors found in LC-15 printers. Do you think they will do?
I have successfully been able to drive them with an AVR board I designed, I've experimented different speeds, using it as a brake etc, but I can't really evalluate if they will be able to move something of this scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back