Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bushnell Rangefinder error. (common problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLCHALL

Hi Everyone,
I wonder if anyone can suggest a fix (or rule out what it won't be) to a problem I have with my golf rangefinder. The device is a laser that you point at the flag, press the button and it tells you how many yards to the pin. Simple enough. I pulled it out the bag the other day and pressed the button and it reads 1888 yds and is stuck on that. (I wasn't 1888 yards from the pin by the way!) I just wondered if any of you have any experience of laser measuring devices and could throw some light on whether it's a component failure on the motherboard or software or dirt ingress? One day it worked fine, the next it is stuck on that number?? I've dismantled it and put it back together again but it's just the same. I've searched the internet for fixes to no avail. Plenty of other people have had the problem, some have contacted the manufacturer who just says "it's beyond repair, send it us and we'll give you a discount off a new one." Clearly, nothing is beyond repair so they're just being lazy and offering no service support.
Sorry if this isn't the usual sort of post you get on here, but thought it was worth asking the question.
Thanks in advance,
John

Attachments

• IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 244
I'm sorry to say that repairing something like that could be a lot of work, unlikely to succeed and with no great rewards.

It's obviously complicated, and it would be very difficult to work out what each bit is supposed to do in detail. Someone repairing it might be lucky and find something simple, but without a circuit diagram and detail of what the voltages and signals are meant to be, there would be a lot of guessing.

If they were common enough, someone might have worked out that, and know the likely faults. For a single one, the expected time to fix, at minimum wage, would be more than the cost of a new one.

Hi Diver300, many thanks for your reply. I included the pictures just in case an expert eye could say "this or that is burnt out." Appreciate it isn't cost effective to repair but was interested to know if you guys thought it was hardware or software. Thanks again and have a good day.

Clearly, nothing is beyond repair
Aye, but it's the cost of the repair that's the problem.
Todays electronics are so complex that the cost of isolating the problem, and then repairing the board, would be many times the cost of a new board, cheaply built on an automated line.

If it's a common problem, then the most likely suspect is that the Laser has burned out.
That would give a maximum reading, which 1888 yards may be, since the receiver would receive no return signal.
(Does it give a maximum yardage range for the device?)
The laser is likely driven very hard (perhaps overdriven) which could cause its failure.

Last edited:
Hi Crutschow, many thanks for your input that's really useful. There are various distances given but none are 1888 yards. I can find 1000 yards quoted and 600-700 yards. What you say makes total sense. I'll see if I can get a replacement laser, provided it's not prohibitively expensive. It's not the cost of a new one that I'm worried about, I just like fixing things! Thanks again.

did you try replacing the battery with a fresh one... i have a similar rangefinder (for shooting range use, not golf) and had a similar thing happen because of a weak battery.

Yes UncleJed, I have been out and purchased new batteries but no difference. My internet searches did find someone who fixed the problem with a new battery but for the rest it made no difference. I like the burnt out laser suggestion so I'll see if I can buy a replacement and try it.

If you know someone with the same model, get them to point it at a clear sky and see what it reads. This should read the same as a burnt out laser as no reflection should occur.

Mike.

Hi Pommie, thanks and yes I will. I've had a look round and it appears that replacement lasers (and that's assuming I purchased the correct one) are probably too expensive compared to just buying a secondhand rangefinder. Thanks, I'll post the result later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back