Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan halder

i connected my mastech mas830l directly to the wall outlet to measure amperage thus burning.. now what should i do?
20170917_074840.jpg

First get out your school science books (Probably from when you where about 13 years old) and refresh you memory about basic electricity. Then you will know that you measure the current that a device takes. NOT THE CURRENT IT TAKES TO BLOW FUSES OR TRIP CIRCUIT BRAKERS IN THE SUPPLY DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. (Unless you have a meter capable of measuring thousands of amps.) You measure current through a wire. You measure voltage between two wires. You will then realise why you have destroyed your meter so you can buy a new one and know how to avoid destroying it.

Les.

If you haven't figured out your mistake, giving the meter a fitting burial and finding a safer hobby probably covers it.

Last edited:
Yes, not a good idea. Maybe you can contribute to this thread someday: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/what-was-your-worst-injury-as-a-hobbyist.151918/

Back to the present, presumably you want to try to repair the meter (MAS 830L ). Q1 is a transistor. That meter is quite popular and its schematics are on the internet. Here is one of several examples: https://airborn.com.au/circuits/mas830l.gif

It is possible a generic transistor and the other component values are also available.

i connected my mastech mas830l directly to the wall outlet to measure amperage thus burning.. now what should i do?
Consider it a lesson learned and remove and replace the meter with a new meter. The burned components are merely a symptom, the root cause should be apparent. You also may want to start with the Instruction Manual which describes how to measure DC current and note the meter was never designed to measure AC current.
"GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The meter is a handheld 31/2 digital multimeter for measuring DC and AC voltage, DC current, Resistance, Diode, Transistor and Continuity Test with battery operated". There is no mention of an AC current measurement.
I would write the meter off as a lesson in what not to do as visually you can only see the obvious damage done. There could be other components which are bad and not plainly visible. A new meter is available for under $12.00 USD from suppliers like Newegg.

Ron

but i want to repair it ...all others are working like i can measure wall outlet voltage,,,actually i know to measure current i need to put the leads in series with the component to check the currecnt drawn ...the thing happened is tht i connected the leads to the wall outlet to measure current
the meter was off.... one hand i was holding thge leadson the other hand i was holding the meter ...than i turned the knob... and it somehoe landed to amperage....i am from india...everything costs much...so i cants afford to buy a new one please help!!!!
20170917_074939.jpg

Yes, not a good idea. Maybe you can contribute to this thread someday: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/what-was-your-worst-injury-as-a-hobbyist.151918/

Back to the present, presumably you want to try to repair the meter (MAS 830L ). Q1 is a transistor. That meter is quite popular and its schematics are on the internet. Here is one of several examples: https://airborn.com.au/circuits/mas830l.gif

It is possible a generic transistor and the other component values are also available.
i
cant make out anything in the image

There are several examples on the Internet. That one is quite legible on my monitor. There are other examples that may be more legible on your monitor.

You've fried the below indicated resistors:
upload_2017-9-18_10-25-53.png

Just before those resistors sacrificed themselves (probably Q1 also), it is extremely likely that the Vref- and IN+ inputs to the AME7106Y processor were fried as well. And no telling what else within the μC was trashed, with all that high current VAC flying around, however briefly.

OK I agree with everybody else that basically the meter is probably trashed to the extent that on the internet you will probably get one cheaper than trying to repair it. The main lesson is never connect the leads of a meter to anything before selecting the correct scale to use. We have all made similar mistakes at one time or another and I'm afraid you just have to learn from it and move on. best wishes for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back