Building the tiniest of heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to figure out how to heat a small amount of water up 200 F, using a battery.
Once it reached 200, it would need to shut down. Smallest configuration possible of course. Any off-the-shelf items
i can use would be best

How small is small?
You could perhaps use a smd transistor both for control and as a heat source.

E Cigarette heating element might work. I want to push water at 130+psi over the element to create 200 degree F water.
I would like the element and power to be no bigger than 1 1/2" cubed.

Have you done any calculations. 1.5" cubed is approximately 55 mL. Raising that temperature from roughly room temperature to 93°C will require in excess of 3,850 calories (small). Now, if the water is flowing, we need to ask at what rate?

In any case, it will take a fair amount of power. What size battery were you intending to use?

John

E Cigarette heating element might work. I want to push water at 130+psi over the element to create 200 degree F water.
I would like the element and power to be no bigger than 1 1/2" cubed.

This isn't quite that simple. The line pressure isn't a major concern but the flow rate is. Heating water using a heating element isn't complicated but when you want instant hot then the volume of water and flow rate become key players. Forget the E Cigarette thing. Making heat with electricity takes quite a bit of power. Start with a Google of Instant Hot Water Heater and you will see descriptions like this:

Product Description

Take a good look at the required power. Even for a small amount of water you would need a really big battery. So we get back to how much water is a small amount and what is the flow rate of the water and the water pipe diameter?

<EDIT> John beat me. </EDIT>

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…