Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building small stereo speaker w/ dual LM386 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audioguru, how does the AC adapter magically route power away from the batteries? If I wire the adapter parallel to the batteries, won't some current be routed through the batteries, dangerously? I will remind you that I have not constructed this yet. It is not a prebuilt stereo that automatically switches between batteries and adapter. I need help making a circuit that will switch between batteries and a DC adapter. Or, I suppose, I could just make a manual switch so I can use either. But automatic would be much neater.
Like I said earlier in this thread, "Most products that are powered from a battery and an AC adapter use a jack with a built-in switch to disconnect the battery when the adapter is plugged in." The switched jack makes it automatic. You can make the AC adapter a battery charger if you want.

Also, I have no idea what you guys are talking about fake "D" cells for... I buy Duracell D's and they are extremely heavy for their size. They are no doubt different from C cells. I have measured the cells with a multimeter and they do output at different current levels. I do not know about other brands, however. Can anyone help me make this thing?
We were talking about Energizer Ni-MH rechargeable D zize cells that have a little AA cell inside. I don't think Duracell sells C and D Ni-MH cells.

For your little amplifier you need six AA Ni-MH rechargeable cells and a charger for them.

Radio Shack and many others sold fake D and C cells with smaller batteries inside them. The clue is to look at the mA-hr capacity printed on them and notice they are the same: they used to have sub-C cells in there that were only good for about 1500 mA-Hrs. I believe a full D cell in Ni-CD is more like 4000 - 5000 mA-hrs, and a full C cell NI-CD is about 2000 - 2500 mA-hr.

Energizer and other battery manufacturers do not sell Ni-Cad cells anymore. They sell Ni-MH cells now that have a capacity that is 5 times more than Ni-Cads.

An AA size Ni-MH cell is 2450 to 2800mAh.

Energizer and other battery manufacturers do not sell Ni-Cad cells anymore. They sell Ni-MH cells now that have a capacity that is 5 times more than Ni-Cads.

An AA size Ni-MH cell is 2450 to 2800mAh.
Those must be new technology, the AA NI-MH that came with my camera (and the replacements I bought when they pooped out) were all rated 2000 mA-hr.

Energizer and other battery manufacturers do not sell Ni-Cad cells anymore.
Then who is making all the NI-CDs? Everybody still sells them and I even see them in packs at FRY's. Somebody is making them, maybe not in the USA because of environmental laws, but they are cranking them out someplace. This place sells a lot of ni-cads:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47440

Here are some typical AA NI-MH, notice they are rated 2000 mA-hr:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90148

There are probably better ones available, these are generic.

This plac has tons of new NI-CADs:

http://shopbatteryhouse.com/nickelcadmium-2.aspx

Last edited:
Sanyo still makes old Ni-cad cells.
Harbour freight sell stuff that they guess on their ratings.

My cheapest Chinese solar garden light has a Ni-Cad cell that is only 380mAh. I have never seen one rated so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back