Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building an Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The chassis is a resistor so things connected to it do not have star grounding.
A star ground is a single point where everything connects to, usually a point on a pcb.

ag: When is it preferable to connect the system ground to earth via a capacitor instead of a low impedance DC connection?

No. The chassis is a resistor so things connected to it do not have star grounding.
A star ground is a single point where everything connects to, usually a point on a pcb.

Oh, so then it should be called a "Star 0V". So I'll just have a blank PCB just for this purpose in my enclosure.

ag: When is it preferable to connect the system ground to earth via a capacitor instead of a low impedance DC connection?
The chassis of audio equipment is connected to an earth ground with a series 10 ohms resistor so that a ground loop is not formed when another earth-grounded piece of equipment is connected with shielded audio cables.

Oh, so then it should be called a "Star 0V". So I'll just have a blank PCB just for this purpose in my enclosure.
Your audio grounds would be best tied together at the final filter cap of your power supply.
Chassis grounds go to the chassis.

Should I use Point to point Wiring for the power Supply or make a PCB? Attached is the PCB. ETO wont let me attach the schematic, but its simple cap filter.

Your audio grounds would be best tied together at the final filter cap of your power supply.
Chassis grounds go to the chassis.

So Does the Center tap from the transformer (which becomes 0V at the filter) Also go to Chassis ground?

I also decided against a DIY heatsink-It was just too expensive! I dug through my box and found two suitable candidates and a one really nice copper heatsink. Theres only one problem, I forgot TO-220 Mica Insulators !

Attachments

• PowerSupply.brd
    50.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
audioguru said:
The chassis of audio equipment is connected to an earth ground with a series 10 ohms resistor so that a ground loop is not formed when another earth-grounded piece of equipment is connected with shielded audio cables.

I don't like that method. I think it's better and safer to isolate the RCA inputs from the chassis and connect the shields to the chassis/star point with a 2.2 ohm resistor or so. With the 2.2 ohm resistor, the inputs won't be isolated anymore.

Grounding is a wierd thing. If you can do the SINGLE POINT, go for it, otherwise it makes sense to separate, Earth, the high current grounds and the signal grounds and then connect each cluster to a single point.

I made an amp with the single ground point construction, but there was no earth connection. i.e. Chassis to Earth at the wall.

So Does the Center tap from the transformer (which becomes 0V at the filter) Also go to Chassis ground?
Only through your resister capacitor network.

Many home amplifiers do not have a metal chassis and are not connected to earth.
The star ground has one point with many arms. One arm has the transformer center tap and the grounds of the main filter capacitors, another arm has the output ground if there is one and another arm has the input grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back