Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building an 8-bit binary input to 3 - 7 segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novell2NT

According to what I can find, the 74185 was a mask-programmed ROM. It wasn't made of logic gates.
1. Find some 74185's (I think there are some available).
2. Use one of Panic Mode's ideas.
3. Program an eprom.
4. Use a microcontroller.
5. Use an FPGA.

I am in the process of trying to build a 8-bit binary input to 3 - 7 segment display output.

I have ordered and just received 6 - 74185's although I think I only need 3. I like to have extras.
I have also picked up 3 - 8051 micro controllers, that I would like to program with a lookup table.
1.) I have downloaded the Keil C51 program, that I can use to write the program and assemble it with. I would like to use ASM language to build this table.
2.) I also have a miniPRO Programmer, to actually install the program onto the 8051 chip.

So, if anyone can draw me a diagram, showing me how to wire the 74185's up, that would be great. I would like to keep it simple at first and just have 10 LEDs
representing the output, that would be passed to the LED drivers. xx(1-2) xxxx(0-9) xxxx(0-9)

I would also love to get my 8051 programmed and working. I am thinking to use 1 port for the binary input and the other 3 ports to actually drive the 7 segment displays directly.

I know there are a lot o good examples here, and I will start looking them over, but will probably have a few questions.

Here is a pic of the project that I am working on, and would like to build an output register, that will display the output on 3 - 7 segment displays.

Attachments

• 2016-12-28_15-27-12.jpg
    2016-12-28_15-27-12.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 251
hi N,
Is this the circuit you have in mind.?
E
74185_bin2bcd.png

EDIT:
Added 16bit
ALL unused inputs a grounded

Attachments

• bin2a.gif
    bin2a.gif
    175.2 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I am in the process of trying to build a 8-bit binary input to 3 - 7 segment display output.

I have ordered and just received 6 - 74185's although I think I only need 3. I like to have extras.
I have also picked up 3 - 8051 micro controllers, that I would like to program with a lookup table.
1.) I have downloaded the Keil C51 program, that I can use to write the program and assemble it with. I would like to use ASM language to build this table.
2.) I also have a miniPRO Programmer, to actually install the program onto the 8051 chip.

So, if anyone can draw me a diagram, showing me how to wire the 74185's up, that would be great. I would like to keep it simple at first and just have 10 LEDs
representing the output, that would be passed to the LED drivers. xx(1-2) xxxx(0-9) xxxx(0-9)

I would also love to get my 8051 programmed and working. I am thinking to use 1 port for the binary input and the other 3 ports to actually drive the 7 segment displays directly.

I know there are a lot o good examples here, and I will start looking them over, but will probably have a few questions.

Here is a pic of the project that I am working on, and would like to build an output register, that will display the output on 3 - 7 segment displays.
Hi Novell,

That is some breadboard you have made. I'm intrigued, have you made a computer? :cool:

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back