Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a micro bot ? plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspreet

hi
i m willing to make a microbot so i need some suggestions on the points below
i want u use micromotors
1.do i use a microcontroller or cmos ic's
2.what type of communication i.e. IR or RF
plz help me on this topic

1. When you say do you use MCUs or CMOS ICs, you are aware that MCUs can be CMOS ICs themselves? Are you really asking whether you should use a MCU or discrete components?

If that is what you are asking you should probably use an MCU unless your robot is to have really simple behavior. And if you are using IR or RF it will be way WAY easier and better to use an MCU instead of hardwire the circuit. That way, you can much better shape and mold the remote commands on your robot. Also...much easier to debug. If you hardwired a command wrong, that circuit is pretty much history and you will have to redo it. Plus, wiring so many commands up would take you lots of room unless you had the equipment do make it small (for example, the equipment used to make an MCU).

2. If its that small, I would go with IR. Being that small, it probably doesnt go very far and you dont need to send messages through walls. RF is also more expensive and to my knowledge considerably bigger. Even the MaxStream Zigbee module is quite a bit bigger than an IR receiver.

Sorry, I have never actually used IR. I tend to build big robots that run far away from me. You will have to find a IR receiver/demodulator (of the correct frequency you want to work with) in a digikey catalog or something.

For the transmitter, you can use a universal TV remote (which will determine the frequency of your receiver). You would then have to hook it up and test what signals are received for different buttons on the remote....

How complicated does it need to be?

Here is one that would simplify things for you...but not as much learning would be involved (I dont necessarily endorse the retailer, I mean to show the product):
**broken link removed**

What do you mean motor driving? YOu should be able to hook up the receiver to an MCU and hook the MCU up to a motor driver board. (You can probably buy a very good one very cheaply for the size of robot your are making). You then have the MCU send different signals to the motor driver board depending on what it receives from the IR receiver.

Last edited:
IR: google for IR circuits. also check out discover circuits http://www.discovercircuits.com/I/infrared.htm

what are your uBot dimensions?

If you want small, get going on surface mount stuff. it's not as hard as it might see at first.

Motor Driver: I suspect you'll need to make your own motor driver to get something small enough. I'd use something like an SOIC L293D or maybe even make an hbridge out of individual surface mount transistors and diodes.

Control: a uC is more flexible and will probably be smaller than a couple of logic chips. A surface mount uC can be very small.

with all due respect - b*llSh*t.

soics are very easy to solder. If this 50ish guy with arthritic hands and bad eyesight can do it, I don't know who cant. And you don't need any special equipment other than a decent soldering iron.

You probably don't even need to make your own PCBs since there are adapter cards available.

I think surface mount techniques are a very important skill for the serious hobbiest and any professional. If not, you are cutting out a larger number of very cool chips. A lot of stuff never gets made in through hole.

Phil

I admit most of them arent that hard if you have the right equipment (except BGAs!). It was such a pain before I discovered the drag-soldering method. I also like to work lead-free...which of course makes many things a pain in the ass- stupid melting tempterature. And yeah, all the best stuff seems to come in surface mount packages...except bulk-metal foil resistive dividers...unforunately.

Last edited:
i have the knowledge about pcb's as i m a pcb designer
and also well knowledge about smt's
so thanx all people for the gr8 knowledgr thanx

If you want a premade controller, you might be interested in the Megabitty. It's a premade control board which is small enough for nano-bots and has an onboard h-bridge. You can buy accessories, like ir range sensors and line sensors as well.

If you are not able to buy this, at least the design is a good guide for your own work.

http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Megabitty.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back